Mazda3 Turbo Upgrade

2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums (mazda3revolution.com)

@physics_teacher_81 Well , Mr. Physics this is an open Forum so as long as no profanity or name calling is done any comments are allowed .

As for your vehicle - Cold air intake ( waste of money ) Tuning chips ( Not really worth it ) Camshaft upgrade ( Not cheap ) .

Better tires and struts will make it more fun to drive .

1 Like

Without the turbo there is no inexpensive way to get 20-40 hp. More fun? If you still have the original shocks/struts, Iā€™d get a street performance set of high quality replacements, along with a set of performance tires. You could add a performance exhaust (Borla and Flowmaster have them for the 2.5), more for the fun than the power, if thatā€™s your thing. I wouldnā€™t go for a CAI.

My experience with my '83 GTI was to add a cam, improved exhaust manifold and system, cat, and a high flow intake manifold and throttle body. It sounded better, I canā€™t say I noticed any improved performance. But I enjoyed working on it.

I definitely liked the improved handling with the Bilstein shocks and performance tires.

If you want to spend some money, you could go +1" on your tires/wheels, just make sure to watch the wheel weight. Tire Rack lets you select wheels based on weight.

1 Like

@physics_teacher_81, The problem for a 2010 model year, youā€™ll be fighting the drivetrain computer, which is programmed to meet the federal and state emissions systems requirements. Unless you can find a way to bypass the engine emissions issues, while conceivably possible, itā€™s probably going to be difficult to get very much bang for your buck.

IMHO what makes a car more fun isnā€™t so much the acceleration, but better cornering and some sort of an open-air top. A manual transmission is more fun too, you could switch to that if you have an automatic. Changing the design of the top probably isnā€™t in the cards, but improvements to the tires and suspension system seems doable. Especially if thereā€™s a practical way you can get it to sit a little lower to the ground to lower the center of gravity.

Off-topic, but given your handle, can you offer recommendations for a website offering free physics lectures in audio-mp3 format?

Cobb Tuning has tuning kits that are 50 state emission legal for the Mazda 3. They re-map the carā€™s engine computer and it is legal. There are other suppliers as well.

On a non turbo engine, the best you can hope for is 10% improvement. On a turbo car, more is possible. But as physics tells us, more power from an ICE means more air and fuel is required; either more RPM or most turbo boost or both. Physics also tells us the reliability will sufferā€¦ Stress increases with the square of RPM, and linearly with boost.

1 Like

About the cheapest bang for your buck is N.O.S. (Nitrous Oxide), this kit and many others is designed for stock enginesā€¦ You would have to call (or look harder lol) to find out the exact specs, but probably around a 35-75 HP Kit depending on what jets you useā€¦
With carburetion back the timing off (retard the timing) about two degrees per 50 horsepower of nitrous. EFI is differentā€¦ Donā€™t get greedy with itā€¦ The longer you are spraying it the more load on the engine and the more chance of putting your engine in a 5 gallon bucketā€¦ Just like ANY real forced induction performance adder, do your home work, the better the engine the better the resultsā€¦

Installation Notes - The EFI kits are designed for use with engines that are basically stock. A stock fuel pump should be adequate, however many pumps decline in performance over the years and it is important to have a fuel pump that meets NEW specs. Use only premium grade pump gasoline (92+ octane) or unleaded racing fuel. In many instances, a high output ignition and free-flowing exhaust system may benefit performance. Do not use aftermarket chips or other devices that advance ignition timing, as detonation may occur.

This is a general car forum for all makes and models, weā€™re not really geared towards upgrading vehicles from stock. If you want recommendations for changing tires yourself, weā€™re the forum. If you want to make your car go faster, vehicle specific forums are a google search away; some may be aware of the forums and can lead you there, but most here do not want to mess with their vehicles like that.

1 Like

A Mazdaspeed3 has more power and the upgrades to hamdle it.