Mazda Pick-up dies after 10 minutes

Hello,

So I have a 2006 Mazda B2300 with about 65000 miles on it. After returning from a 5,000 mile road trip, a couple days later it died after about 3 blocks of driving. Since then I have been able to start it, very easily, after it has sat for a couple hours but it always stalls after 10-15 minutes. The things I checked:
-Full tank of gas
-Fuel pressure at engine present (pushed the Schrader valve with a screw driver and it shot out robustly while engine was running)
-Can hear pump running when I put my ear to the tank.
-All fluids in normal range and not in need of changing.

Basically, all I can think of to do is change the fuel filter (which I plan to do this weekend). I also thought maybe the fuel vent could be involved but I dont know how.

If anyone can point point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Brian

There’s dozens of potential problems that could cause this. The first thing I’d do is bring all the manufacturer’s recommended scheduled engine maintenance up to date. There’s a good chance simply doing that will fix the problem. If not, get the CEL codes – current and pending – and come back here.

When it stalls does it start right back up or does it need a cooling off period prior to restarting? If it requires a cooling off period it’s possible the ignition coil is going bad.

It needs about 3 hours or so then it starts up like nothing is wrong with it for about 10 minutes. After that it starts to shutter and unless I give it a bunch of gas it dies. Well, it dies either way but that gives it about 5 extra minutes.

Try to narrow it down to fuel or spark. Naturally, when you test your fuel pressure when the truck is running ok, it will seem fine. Test your fuel pressure when the engine won’t run.

AlanY: Thanks. How would I do that if the car isn’t running? I tried pushing the pin in the schrader valve while it is off but then the pump isn’t running so there is no pressure.

Try testing when you are cranking the engine. Of course, you will need a helper for that. While testing for fuel pressure without a pressure gauge isn’t necessarily the most accurate, you should be getting fuel pressure while cranking. If not, try temporarily removing the gas cap.