Mazda Leak Detection Pump

My daughter owns a 2004 Mazda3. The Check Engine light came on and the repair people said it was due to a problem with the Leak Detection Pump…costly to repair. I did some research and found that the 2004 Mazda6…not the “3” was recalled with a problem with this pump. My guess is that the 6 and the 3 have the same pump. Any ideas on how she might pursue getting this fixed with Mazda paying the freight?

You would have to let the Dealer do their own diagnosis to start with.

First off, you should be aware that a service bulletin and a recall are 2 separate things. A mandated recall is required to be performed free of charge no matter what.
A volutary recall has limits related to time and mileage. A service bulletin does not mean that anyone gets anything free; it’s only info provided to the dealer.

When a recall is issued it applies only to what is spelled out exactly in the recall bulletin; no more, no less.
TEven if identical parts are used on different models with one model being under recall for that part does not mean the other model is also covered.

A quick look does not show a recall on either model. Sure this is a recall or are you referring to what is called a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)?

I had exactly the same problem with my 2005 Mazda 3 i bought 2 months ago. Only drove it for 2000 kilometers and the check engine light came on, took it in and they said the leak detection pump was not working and was leaking. They said it will cost 556.14 to replace. I’m obviously not impressed as I bought it from a mazda dealer and it was maintained there as-well. I’ll post the outcome!

I own a 2005 Mazda 3 that I bought used one year ago with the same problem. 200 miles off the dealer’s lot the check engine light came on. When I brought it back to the Saab dealer I bought it used from to have the code checked they could only tell me that it was “an emissions code.” A year later (now that my inspection is up) it looks like the leak detection pump is bad (part alone is $674). Clearly the Saab dealer I bought it from knew about the problem and didn’t have it taken care of before I got the car. Now I am faced with a pretty sizable repair for a newer car (newest car I’ve ever owned!). This detection pump doesn’t seem to be effecting performance, but my inspection is a month overdue. My dad thinks I should go back to the dealer and demand they pay for the repairs since they clearly knew about the problem. Thoughts?

I have the same issue on my 2005 3. Recently I finally did find the part number on a service bulletin at this site. http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/01-043-09-2217.pdf I searched for this specific part number ad got a couple hits. One on eBay that does not look like the right part and another one on this site. http://www.buyourmazdaparts.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1143 Can anyone confirm that this $86 part is the right one? I would really like the needs service lite to be off but not for $600 at the dealer…

dougwitha3

http://www.buyourmazdaparts.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1143 correct site for part

Did you end up buying this part and getting it replaced? I have a Mazda 3, 2007 with 66K, and have had my CEL on for almost 2 years. The code is for the malfunctioned leak detection pump. My dealer originally told me it would be $800 to replace and fix, so I decided not to do it. But, if the cost are better, I’d think about it.