Maxima computer

I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima. A couple of months ago the car’s computer was destroyed by a “motor” on the computer circuit board that controls the idle. At least that’s what I was able to glean from what my mechanic told me. Nissan used to cover the replacement of the computer in recognition of the fact that there was a design/manufacturing defect in the computer but they no longer cover this repair. My first question is who do I contact at Nissan to try and persuade them to cover the repair on my car. Since the computer was replaced my service engine light stays on. My mechanic assures me that nothing is wrong. He doesn’t know why the light is on and he can’t turn it off. My second question is why is the light still on and what can I do about it.

The “motor” is not on the computer circuit board, its on the throttle body. As for the light, you either have a faulty computer or a wire to the computer is broke, and there are a lot of wires.

You were either misinformed by the mechanic or you have misinterpreted what he told you because the motor is not part of the computer, or ECM.

Why should Nissan get involved in this? The car is 10 years old, the warranty (both factory and Federal) have long expired, and you’ve had your own mechanic involved in this car too deeply.

I’m skeptical (very) about this diagnosis of a fried circuit board because of a faulty Idle Air Control valve, which means the “faulty” IAC was also replaced I assume.

Since your mechanic doesn’t know why the CEL is on or how to to even turn it off about all I can suggest is have the car scanned at AutoZone, Checkers, or whomever and see what codes are present as a first step.
I would also point out that an ECM is not a one size fits all thing. There may be a dozen different ones for the same model car and if this ECM was a used or “rebuilt” unit then all bets are off as to whether it’s any good or not.

Since the computer was replaced my service engine light stays on. My mechanic assures me that nothing is wrong. He doesn’t know why the light is on and he can’t turn it off.

That hack is not a mechanic. It’s one of those “when all else fails, replace the computer” fellas. I feel sorry for you.

Thanks to all who replied to my question. As a follow up, Nissan covered the replacement of the computer long after the warranty period. It seems clear that I will need to get a second opinion on this problem. Thanks again guys.