Manual transmissions

My son who is 21 is of the belief that when you park a car with a standard transmission it is best to apply the emergency brake but leave the shift in neutral. I was taught and under the impression that leaving the car in gear either first or reverse is essential. Any advice. Thank you, Richard

It is preferred to use the parking brake ( It is not an emergency brake which will become very apparent if you ever have to try and use it in an emergency ) AND leave the transmission in low or reverse.

What does he say is the reason for leaving it in neutral?  Since you did not mention it, maybe he knows something we don't.   Frankly I have learned a long time ago not to casually reject any of his ideas.

He (or one of his friends) doesn’t happen to have a manual with remote start?

That would be a good reason (at least on level ground) for leaving it out of gear…

Ask for a source, To tell You the truth if we had a baby I would not know weather sleeping on the back, sleeping on the stomach or sleeping on the side would be best. The opinions are constantly changing. In gear and baby on stomach back or side is my choice.

That is wonderful that you would take seriously your 21 year old son’s advice regarding car parking. I submit that the young may very well have fresh and new insights on any topic but take care.

Regarding the shift in neutral, my seasoned opinion is that applying the parking brake takes stress off of your transmission, parked in gear from someone who would bump your car while they are parking. Also, be assured that the engineers who designed your car are aware of the various calamities that your car may be subjected to when parked meaning that some abuse has been anticipated.

I used both the parking brake and 1st gear when I had a manual transmission. It won’t hurt the transmission; the car is not moving. It’s belt and suspenders, but I think the redundancy is appropriate for a 3000 pound sled. ON a steep hill, it’s even a good idea to turn the wheels towards the curb. Anyone walking near the car deserves no less.

Use the park brake and leave it in gear. With the tranny in gear engine compression will hold the vehicle still, with the trans in R or 1 and the properly adjusted park brake activated.

I apologize for being picky but internal engine static friction, not compression helps to hold a parked car with a manual transmission in gear from moving.
This topic has been covered before on this site. Engine compression leaks down in a few seconds and then is gone unless the car moves. Static friction is forever.

Try pulling all the spark plugs out of your engine and see how well “static friction” holds it on a hill…

I would say if the ground is level leave it in neutral with the brake. Obviously if on a slope put it in the appropriate gear. Just make sure you do actually use the E brake. Noone in ontario does because there is no hills, but everyone in BC does all the time.

The only reason I know of not to leave the car in gear is if the car has a remote starter. Other than that, it is safer to leave the car in gear (with the parking brake also) because parking brakes can fail.

My kids learned on standards and it was always, in gear and parking brake on. In addition, if much of an incline, look for a curb (or snow bank) to turn your wheel into or block a wheel with a stone or “branch”. If you drive older cars in hilly areas and compression is low and parking brakes are suspect in the winter, carry a “wedge” in the trunk, and use it.

what does the position of a baby while sleeping have to do with a car did you really just compare a child to a car

I’ve been driving standard transmission cars for all of my 40 years of driving. My rule is this: when I park I shut off the engine, put the transmission in neutral and take my foot off the brake. If there is no roll forward or backward, I put the transmission in first gear and do not set the parking brake. If there is even the slightest roll, I put the transmission in first and set the brake. No need to stretch the brake cable if it’s not needed. I have yet to have a problem.

Twotone