Manual car question

I’m talking about downshift to first at around 25 mph, getting ready for a long and steep descend, where first gear can barely keep my downhill speed constant(i when turn on the ac for extra drag from the compressor when there are more than 2 on board) to avoid using those runaway ramps. And I want it done with minimal chance of breaking loose the tires. In this case, double clutching its a safety issue

Thank you. Great story! I learned to double clutch around that age. Of course it was on old war surplus Jeeps. My Dad’s Maserati must have been in the shop. LOL

My 1980 Dodge Aspen had a non syncro first gear. Weird combo, had a 4 speed floor shift with a bench seat behind a slant 6. Bought it dirt cheap from a new car dealer because no one else wanted it.
It is less than 50 years old. I was unable to find out when the last non syncro 1st gear car was sold in the us, but know it was less than 50 years ago.

That sounds like my 1976 Plymouth Volare. 4th gear was overdrive and marked OD on the shift knob which was on a factory Hurst shifter. I had no idea first gear was non-syncro. I probably never had a reason to use first gear while moving.