Malibu: Era's end for the only affordable American gas-powered sedan

By that logic everyone should drive a minivan. I’ve got my sedan and Mrs JT has her Odyssey. The vehicles compliment each other.

Yes, but logic doesn’t always dictate vehicle choices. IMHO, stying is just as important as carrying capacity. So far, I haven’t seen a minivan that is attractive to my eye.

YMMV :wink:

2 Likes

OK, I can normally figure out this stuff and or google it one, but what does YMMV other than Your Mileage May/Might Very??? :man_shrugging:

If it could get you flagged, you can PM it to me… :grin:

That’s exactly what YMMV is supposed to mean.
Or, in other words, you might have different taste than I do.
Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, and it just comes down to the way that people’s taste and priorities might differ.

2 Likes

As a follow-up to my earlier comment…

… I will add this example:

For hauling stuff for an extended vacation I would prefer a late 60s Station Wagon.

One word: Roof.

I hauled a home replacement furnace on the roof-top of my Corolla one time.

How fast did you drive? You had to drive slowly so that the furnace that did not fly off when the wind took it away.

1 Like

I can’t believe the furnace was to big to fit in the bed of the old F100.

1 Like

Seemed to be pretty stable up to 35 mph, but still thought it prudent to go slowly over big bumps and when starting/stopping at stoplights. Furnace wasn’t just perching on the roof, it in a carboard box w/thick blanket on the roof & everything was secured to the Corolla with a variety of ropes and straps. Boy Scout knot-learning proved to be very helpful.

lol … yeah, it would have fit in the truck no problem. I don’t recall why I didn’t use the truck at the time, maybe the truck was under repair.

Nah, for any of those uses, a regular cab 2WD pickup with a large toolbox at the back of the bed works even better (assuming you have a small enough family). With a family of two adults and a 9-year old boy, we have traveled in our truck, and put our luggage in the tool box.

The truck also works great for hauling stuff such as used appliances or used furniture, etc. I have saved a lot of money buying this stuff used, and letting someone else pay the depreciation.

1 Like

These people out-did you, I think.

The photo above reminds me of the incident Ray & Tom told on the Car Talk radio program about a friend of theirs who piled a dozen or more sheets of plywood on top of their car’s roof, held to the roof only by gravity. As I recall it didn’t end well … lol …

1 Like

I’m sure that I’m not the only forum member who occasionally sees mattresses on the side of the interstate during the summer months. Those probably came from sedans whose driver/passenger thought that they could simply hold onto the mattress through an open window.

Another car colliding with a mattress that fell off onto the road like that, a freeway speed collision , could well be deadly. The lady in the photo is also in a very dangerous position.

They definitely deserve an award :skull:

It was 18 Sheets of plywood on top of the car, when the driver taps the brakes they all fell forwards,
Car Talk - Plywood Aerodynamics (youtube.com)

It could be worse, I think…

:dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Before delivery services were more common a worker at the local animal hospital up the road would buy out our stores supply of kitty litter and other supplies, her Chevy Prizm from the 90’s would be almost that low on the bump stops every time.

1 Like

hmmm … maybe a misunderstanding about the weight of the car vs the weight of the load … lol …

Getting back to the original topic, I wonder how many sheets of plywood a Malibu could carry on its roof?

And in states w/liberal cannabis laws, would it be called “plyweed” … lol.