Making Plastic Car Parts

This reminds me of a saying I heard once.

Borrowing money buy things that don’t matter to impress people that don’t care…

2 Likes

I know what a sleeper car is but I fail to see how misc. trim will turn it into a beast on wheels.

Only way (IMO) to turn a Concorde into a sleeper would be to drop the body onto a Hellephant fitted tube chassis. As with most projects triple the cost and aggravation factors over the original estimate.

3 Likes

Some of us do, yeah. A Concorde sleeper car would be fun. And you’d definitely surprise a lot of people if you pulled it off. If you did pull it off, you would need to put “SST” badges on it somewhere just to make the aviation folks grin.

Here’s the problem. If you’re quibbling about the price of 3d printing plastic parts that for some reason you don’t just want to buy off of Rockauto or somewhere, then you don’t have enough money to turn this thing into a sleeper. That’s gonna take a pretty big budget even if you do all the work yourself.

Just off the top of my head, you’re gonna need new brakes, exhaust, header, intake, probably suspension, etc. And you’re gonna need a new engine and transmission because if I recall the best engine you could get on that thing was around 250hp, and on a 3500 pound car that provides decent acceleration but nothing that almost everything on the road can’t easily keep up with.

3 Likes

There really is no hope for this.

1 Like

Rather anemic motor and a transmission that won’t tolerate a lot of HP do not make for a lot of promise as a sleeper.

1 Like

PVT - click on the ellipsis ( or as most of us call them the 3 dots ) and the click on the Trash Can symbol and your post will drift off into cyber space.

On the other hand, boosting the engine’s output and funneling it through that weak transmission could easily turn this 20 year old car into a permanent sleeper–i.e.–one that is no longer functional.
:wink:

1 Like

I had a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS factory equipped with a 383 V8 (6.3 L). Shortly after i brought it home from the dealer i removed the racing stripes and any badges indicating it was a GTS. Now THAT was a sleeper. A six cylinder old people’s car? Ain’t gonna happen.

4 Likes

Thank You!

Okay, firstly, I haven’t found any performance parts ~yet~ And secondly, there are plenty of turbocharged 3.2 V6 engines out there.

I’m just simply asking for help guys. I love cars but don’t really know what to do. I don’t know much about them, but I want to learn.

What you’re hearing from the board is called, “learning

Tester

2 Likes

Not Chrysler 3.2s built for only 4 years with no performance parts for them at all.

Any turbo system would be totally custom and cost $30K even if you did the work yourself. Afterwards the block would break in half if the transmission didn’t grenade first.

There is a poster with an old Chevy Cruze that wanted to boost his car from 138 hp to 220. At least his car has an aftermarket. Yours doesn’t.

Start with a different car or a huge pile of.money.

1 Like

I never even noticed that ellipses before. Very handy, thanks.

Enjoy the vehicle as it is, the money you spend on custom interior panels and engine modifications could buy you a used Camaro or Challenger, the 6 cylinder engines have 300 horsepower.

There were supercharger kits for 300 and Charger 3.5 L engines but those seem to be discontinued, these are in the same engine family.

The 3.2 L engine is no slouch, it is rated at 225 HP, the same as the Lexus GS300. The 3.2/3.5 engine was later enlarged to 4.0 liters and used in the Nitro, Pacifica and minivans.

Popular in my area at that time, Biscayne 2 door sedans with a 427, but Chevy did put the 427 badge on the fender.

Here’s the thing. You can’t just grab an engine, slap a turbo on it, crank it up to 20 lbs of boost, and start embarrassing Lambos. You need to make the engine stronger so that you don’t break stuff when you boost it. And I don’t think there are any parts to make your engine stronger because no one, yourself excluded, is interested in using your engine in a performance car, so you’d have to have them custom made. By the time you finished, just on the engine, you’d have probably spent enough to just get a Tesla and outrun supercars.

The cheaper route is to drop a better engine and transmission into it. But that’s still going to be very expensive because no one makes swap kits for your car, which means you’ll have to have the motor mounts custom made, etc. And engine swaps aren’t really a good idea if you don’t know much about cars, which means you’ll need to pay someone to do it for you and that will be even more money.

Your better bet is to sell what you have and get a more capable platform - one that has a healthy performance aftermarket scene.

1 Like

+1
In addition to adding stronger connecting rods and main bearings, I think there is another modification that would be necessary. Don’t most turbo-charged engines have slightly lower compression ratios than their non-turbo siblings?

If my recollection is correct (and I am eager for correction if I am wrong), this would necessitate installing different cylinder heads, and–somehow–I doubt if that part even exists for this engine.

3D printers

Or you could leave compression alone and add alcohol/water injection like Olds did in 1962