Major Body work - Request for Advice

I don’t understand that comment, please explain.

In addition to the standard paint color code, there is an additional tint code that was used for a particular batch. Refinishers will not only use the factory paint code but also tint now using the computer scan to slightly adjust it to match. Imperceptible mostly but can be just a tiny shade lighter or darker only noticeable if side by side (According to the Olds body shop guy.) Olds had three different shadings and you had to know the right one. Without the computer scan now, all the suppliers guarantee is a “blendable” match. Plus some brands match better than others. I always had trouble with DuPont but PPG/Ditzler was better. That’s why some years ago the factory started painting the bodies with the doors on so there wouldn’t be a shading difference on that new car.

1 Like

IMO you generally get better repair service from your own insurer since they have a contractual obligation with you to repair it to pre accident condition. There is also a state insurance department that regulates your insurer who can assist you if your insurer is not meeting it’s contractual obligations to you.

This only thing the other guys insurer worries about is to avoid you hiring a lawyer and taking it to court. That is far less incentive to make you whole than the incentive of your own insurer.

Yes, your insurer would actually prefer you deal with the other insurer yourself. It is a lot cheaper and easier for them if you do that.

+1
Additionally, fading of the original paint can lead to a bad mis-match.

The owner of the shop I use told me about it. At one time he managed the body shop for a large new car dealership. They would examine and correct any blemishes on newly delivered new cars, even then they sometimes had problems matching the paint.
A vehicle from a west coast plant could be a tiny bit different than a Midwest or east coast plant. Yet the paint code is the same. Odd, but true.
He spent two weeks matching the paint for my car, it is older, some of the pearls used in the factory paint aren’t even available anymore.

3 Likes

No fault (in NY) apples to injuries only, not auto body collision.

I dont know tom418, when I spke to State Police they said that fleeing from the site of accident was a traffic violation and not a crime. This was in association with getting the police report amended once we got the id on the truck. Thanks for the info. For now I believe we are set. I also feel that our own insurance company would have dragged its feet taking care of the subrogation and we wld just have seen our rates go up. But cannot say for certain.

The body shops I have talked to are relieved its teh other insurance company because they say as a victim one has more leverage to get the right parts (OEM v used) v own insurer who is strict about the terms andjust wants to do it as cheaply as possible. We will have to see. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advise. We will do our best to implement! Best Regards, Chitra