Maintenance questions - pulsation and Tranny fluid color

mazda
mazda5

@thegreendrag0n

Thanks for everything. I might as well go to dealer and have it flushed - I found a former mechanic working as an adviser at the dealership - gained some confidence in dealership - private shops are either vague or telling me that they specialize on Hondas & Toyotas. After the flush, I will drain and fill myself every 2 yrs as I have been doing on my Integras.

The Mazda people are doing all kind of stuff - eg adding a cooler, ext filter, Magnetic filter etc and then go long time between changes.

life would not be such beautiful if everything was so easy, would it not? :slight_smile:

@thegreendrag0n - you are correct.

WellsFargo bank (as opposed to Bank of America) founders debated a lot and in return they gave a lot back to shareholders!

What does that have to do with transmission fluid ?

Was that before or after the feds cracking down on them?

@MMikeInNH - this was during the early days as they founded the company.
CircuitCity returned a lot to stakeholders but now out of biz!

That had nothing to do with why they are no longer in business.

Here is the update - bought the car and took it to the dealer - It worked out better for me but not without …as @Tester said

Dealer m/c, who was being instructed by the neighbor mechanic in Spanish, removed the coolant hose instead as I was just standing outside and watching it. Another guy from the office came along to tell me that I can not stand there due to liability!

So I went to the office and told them that I do not want this m/c to work on my car - service advisor complied.

Adviser later came along to tell me that they will have to flush the 2nd time to get the color right - no extra.

In the end it worked out better for me because their fluid is cheap for them (listed at $4.41, retail at $9.60) and they flushed it twice for no extra cost. Also knocked 10% off on the bill for the mishap.

Looking back, I now feel comfortable using Valvoline full syn that @thegreendrag0n recommended - this car’s tranny shares stuff & other parts with Ford - Vaolvoline is about $20 for gallon. Even their OEM fluid came to that price (list price) but the markup is 100% for retail customers making it expensive than Honda ATF!

Good summary there OP, thanks for the update. In my area there are often significant reductions in prices for oils and transmission fluids at auto parts stores, approaching 50% discount compared to the normal price, during sales. The best prices at PepBoys tend to be during their yearly Founder’s Week sale.

@George_San_Jose1 - you’re welcome and thanks for your ongoing contributions. It was good to see many viewpoints in this forum to get the perspective.

The dealership I went to is just around the corner from where you are - Stevens creek

Thanks for the tip on Founder’s week sale.

When is it - went to PepBoys and the guy didn’t know?

Congrats with a purchase and with getting service done by professionals!
Hopefully you will get years of useful life from your Mazda5

Thanks a million to you for bringing your brand specific knowledge!

For Mazda Skyactiv autos, no flush just drain and fill only.

According to this utube vdo it’s this upcoming week; in 2014 anyway, watching the vdo, it was around the middle of Feb.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7B2e/pepboys-founders-day-sale-2014

You can always surf to the pepboys website and ask a question to their customer service department, they should know. I seem to remember it being warmer than February when they had that sale, but I might not be remembering correctly.

@cdaquila

Can we do please do something about the @mechguru spam