Miata, mazda

I have a 90 Mazda Miata Automatic shit. Yesaterday while I was driing in a high way, the car start not to go in apropiate speed. When I give the accelaration to the maximum the car speeds only 10-20hr/mile.So I dorve it just 5-20hr/mile to get out of the high way. I chceked every thing, one thing i notice is that i didnot make any oil change for the last 5000 mile. By the way, the car has only 120000m. Please apologized me for my english and i look forward to liseten your opinions.

Thanks

There is no problem with your English. Nor do I believe going 5,000 miles without an oil change would have anything to do with it.

What I don't know is if the engine is running normally but the transmission is not working properly and therefore the car is going slow, or if the transmission is working normally but the engine is not rotating fast enough.  

Could you try and answer that question?

Thanks, I think the Transmission is not working properly…Actually when I drive it with 2 Gear it goes better than the D. The engine is working because i can hear it and on the dash bord on the left gage RPM is 4-high but the Mile per hour gage doenot move. Any ways i will look forward to hear form you.

yohannes

If I am interpreting your post correctly, you are telling us that the engine is revving to 4,000 RPM, but that the car is not moving faster. If that is the case, then your transmission is slipping badly.

The first thing to do is to check the transmission fluid. If you don’t know the correct procedure for checking trans fluid, consult your Owner’s Manual.

If the fluid level is below the “full” mark, fill it with the proper amount of trans fluid, of the same type specified in the manual. Don’t use a “universal” transmission fluid. Just be aware that you will need to closely monitor the fluid level every day or so, simply because the low level indicates that you have a transmission leak.

If the fluid level is normal, but it brown or black rather than the normal red color, that confirms that the transmission has been overheated and is damaged. In this case, the car needs to be towed to a reputable independent transmission shop. Do not go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other chain trans shop unless you want to be overcharged for poor-quality work.

If the fluid is normal in both level and color, I would still suggest having the car towed to a reputable trans shop.

And, for the future, remember that transmission fluid (and filter) should be changed every 3 years or 30,000 miles. Those who do not do this can look forward to transmission failure any time after 90,000 miles.