Lurching Ford Taurus

My 2002 Ford Taurus SES 3.0L 4v 6-cyl is sort of lurching, especially when I’m accelerating around 30-35 mph and my rpms are at 1000-1500. My mechanic just replaced a cracked coil pack, which seemed to help a little but has not eliminated the problem. The engine is also surging when I’m parked with my foot on the brake. Any ideas what might be going on?

You probably have a vacuum leak - and a fairly substantial one at that. Or you have an issue with some aspect of air measurement/metering such as the mass airflow sensor or intake air temp sensor. Your mechanic didn’t finish figuring it out.

Do you have a check engine light? If so report the exact code(s) (format: “P1234”)

Last week he ran a diagnostic and there were no codes…and no check engine light.

I have the same or similar problem. I have a 1999 Ford Taurus. Please let me know if you found the problem. Thank you

Shannon, Got A Printer ?
Car Manufacturers Publish TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) For Their Technicians To Use In Understanding And Diagnosing Certain Problems, Sometimes Tricky Ones. Here’s One That May Or May Not Help Your Mechanic.

The 7 page bulletin covers several Ford models and model-years, including 2000 - 2003 Taurus vehicles. It discusses drivability problems related to the IAC (air idle control valve). and various symptoms, including “Hesitation/surge while accelerating or at steady speed,” that may be intermittent and without a “check engine” light or fault codes.

Check it out. Click this link.

Cigroller was on the right track if this car has a problem with the IAC or IAC circuit/system.

CSA