Lucas strikes again?

That’s a great example. Eufy is a division of Anker. Most if not all of their stuff in made in China and it’s a great example of how you can get quality goods made there. Almost everything they sell is excellent. (I have a Eufy for every floor of my house :wink: )

There are still significant problems for Chinese manufacturers. Language is a barrier, as is the time difference. US buyers and their Chinese vendors don’t have much time each day for online meetings because of the time difference. It takes a while to deliver components even during good times, and that means manufacturing errors take a long time to fix. All this means that inexpensive Chinese components can end up costing more than US sourced components. There is a printed wiring board manufacturer in Baltimore that is in business precisely because they speak English as a first language, are no more than 3 hours off for time zone, and customer visits are much quicker and relatively inexpensive compared to dealing with Chinese manufacturers. I’m sure that they aren’t the only ones.

1 Like

Sure they can make good stuff, but just because they can doesn’t mean they always do. Maybe we have learned but back in the day of bridge fasteners not heat treated, and faulty military electronics. Some stuff that is never tested until in use. Then again apple phone parts that seem ok. Just have to stay on your toes.

Of course now with supply chain issues with critical components, manufacturers are seeing the benefits again of domestic supply.

A neighbor invented an improved version of a basic yardwork tool. (I don’t want to be more specific because I don’t want him to know that I am talking behind his back.) He contracted the manufacturing to a company in China because of–obviously–the cost. Fast forward a few months later when he was flooded with complaints that the business end of the tool had snapped off of its handle. It turned-out that the Chinese contractor had cheaped-out, and had not manufactured his tool exactly as the engineering drawings had shown.

The “fix” was for his customers to install a large wooden dowel that he provided (essentially a cut-down broomstick) between the business end of the tool and the handle.

So, yes it is possible for Chinese companies to manufacture good-quality products, but my neighbor’s experience with using them as his manufacturing contractor was so negative that he dissolved that business after his innovative product got a bad rep.

1 Like

Heh heh. I used to have a terrible problem with sticks brown over my back yard from ten dirty trees that are now gone. I got the idea to mount a couple rakes on the front of my mower to push them in piles. Didn’t work but I had a couple of handl less rakes that I didn’t throw away. Fast forward to last fall where raking leave from between bushes was very hard. So I cut one of the rakes down to about 8 inches wide. and added a handle. Worked great. I have no intention of a patent so anyone can use it as they please. Ya got me curious though.

sorry Bing, but they have had small rakes like that for years.

Who knew? But mine is narrower and red.

For awhile now I’ve thought this about manufacturing in China.

Scenario: An american comes up with a great product. When he sees what it will cost if made here, he concludes he “has” to make it overseas. He makes a complete plan on design and materials. He gets on a plane, goes to China and sits down with his chosen company. He insists it be built just as he has planned. He walks out and heads home. As soon as he had walked out of the big conference room the Chinese company starts figuring out where they’re going to cut corners and make it cheap, cheap, cheap. A few months later the inventor is swearing: “What the hell?”

1 Like

Sometimes things are out there and we just don’t know to look for them. I was going to invent a clip on paint can pourer thing, the next time I was looking for brushes there they were. I don’t know how long they have been out there.

It’s probably hard for folks in the SF Bay area to relate to your sticks problem. The living rooms here often have more floor space than the yard.

1 Like

That’s why I encourage everyone to get in their car and see the USA in your Chevrolet or whatever.