LRR tires

Just got new tires from tire rack for my CX-7(contenintal trucontact). Upon looking at the description closer, these are LRR.
Anyone here switch to this type of tire from a normal type? Are there any real world performance advantages or disadvantages to LRR tires over normal ones?

LRR is low rolling resistance. Some ways to reduce rolling resistance are harder rubber, stiffer sidewall, internal design of the belts and cords, less squirm in the tread, and more. You might give up nothing. You might feel the ride is harsher, less dry wet or snow traction. You might get 3 to 5 % better mpg if these tires replaced standard tires.

Just like everything else in life, generalizations tend to be filled with incorrect info, so I hesitate to generalize.

LRR tires are usually said to have less traction than non-LRR tires, but I have to say that my Michelin Defenders–which are LRR tires–have excellent traction on dry and wet roads, and are…decent on snow. In fact, I haven’t found any factor in which these tires are lacking.

If you look at the tire ratings in Consumer Reports, you will see that there is a fairly wide variation in how LRR tires perform.

I was looking at their survey results when shopping for the tires more than anything, and the TrueContact is dark green in all but 1 area. It was when I started looking at other stats that I noticed it was an ecoplus LRR designation.

The ride didn’t feel any harsher, it actually felt a bit softer going over the crummy roads here in my town. The only thing I noticed that was different was I thought I heard a noise from the front passenger side; A slight droning noise. Though, I could just be imagining it, too, it’s hard to tell with only a couple miles driving home from the tire shop.

I just bought the true contact tires, too and have about 3 tanks of gas on them. I’m getting the same mileage I got in the summer on winter blend gasoline, so it appears that there is some improvement. I’ll let you know more when they switch back in a month or so. These tires have great grip, though.

I get an mpg or two less in the winter, but that’s mostly due to me using my remote start in the mornings to help clear the windows. Other than that, winter or summer fuel I get about the same MPG year round. A 3-5% increase won’t be much when I’m averaging 14.5MPG year round

The trouble with tires is that the ride, handling, and traction characteristics of every tire are different, and they become different again in different sizes, and vary again on different vehicles. When LRR tires first came out not that long ago most owners of cars with them (the Prius club) reported better handling after switching to conventional tires. I’m not sure that’s true anymore. Maybe it just applied to the tires that the Prius was being shipped with.

If you’re happy with your new tires, than it matters not what the general “buzz” is about them. If you’re not, than it matters not what eth general “buzz” is about them. In short, they’re already on the vehicle… analyzing them based upon the sidewall is meaningless. You either like them or you don’t.

At nearly $900, including shipping, for my new tires, plus another $200 for mounting, balancing, new tpms sensors and a 4 wheel alignment, I can safely say, regardless of how they perform, I’ll be keeping them for awhile.
I was just wondering if others have heard/experienced any difference with lrr vs normal tires.

The only vehicle in the family with LRR tires is my Mom’s '10 Prius which she researched and shopped for new tires until my dad basically told her to buy the Defender XT’s from Costco and stop worrying about everything else. Some cars such as Hybrids are more sensitive to tire choice and even different LRR tires can have an effect on mileage compared to another. Normal tires do have more grip and probably better snow performance but it really depends on individual needs. No complaints so far from my favorite Prius owner so they must be meeting her expectations. We’ll see if she actually gets 60,000 miles from a set of tires.

LRR tires are a benefit long term for the consumer, inspired by car manufactures who neededthem as standard equipment on cars they wanted to make more efficient. Until the technology evolves, there will always be some compromise. I have never found that snow tires with the absolute best snow and mud traction did any thing but reduce my mileage and make more noise otherwise. At some point a balance will be found by tire makers and some day consumers will have tires that are still better over all because of it.

Last night, I had to follow a car driving 20 mph over a snow covered road for 25 miles that was definitely unstable becasue of the tires. They may have been badly worn but they could have been “what I call compromise tires.”

I had no problems driving safely at 40 mph on the normally 55 mph road with winter tires. This is the only problem I could see in extreme conditions and for now where LRR tires might be at a distinct disadvantage. A friend has a Prius with these LRR tires. The dealer smartly advised her, DO NOT DRIVE IN SNOW with these tires. You should have separate snow tires. Given that this year we have passed the 120 inch snow fall amount with a lot to spare, it was good advice.

When it comes to a choice between traction and economy, I’ll take traction and safe performance any time. I realize the toughening fuel economy (CAFE) standards are driving a lot of this so in the future we’ll see more things like electric power steering, souped up small engines in big cars, LRR tires, etc.

“LRR” is a term used to describe tires that have better fuel economy than other like tires - as in, similar traction and wear characteristics. It is NOT an absolute term, it is a relative one.

So you can have a tire labeled “LRR” that gets worse fuel economy than one not so labeled. Confusing? You bet!!

Do LRR tires have poor traction and/or poor wear? Not necessarily. Remember the term is a relative one - and relative to tires with similar characteristics. Some LRR tires have good traction and/or wear - and some don’t.

^
Exactly!
As I have stated previously, a well-designed LRR tire–like the Michelin Defender–is not a case of having to trade-off decent traction for better gas mileage.

Capri posted; thread over. You all may now descend into the off topic realm. :smiley:

My Continental Pure Contact LRR tires seem to have excellent traction on snow and wet roads. Tire Rack agrees in their compare tests, and so do customers.

My LRR Michelins work great, I notice no compromises.

I think we are talking about apples and oranges. If one still feels that Continental Pure contacts Michelin or BFGs or whatever in all seasons have "excellent traction in snow, it must be taken in context. That goes for any all season tire.

It’s an all season tire and @texases is right…not even inthe same category as a winter tire. Here in our state you need wintertime tires during the winter months if you can expect to face this much snow during everyday driving (. 125 inches and counting) …or just wait till the paved roads are bare, which seems to be the ultimate solution for most who whish not to spend LESS for tires. Now, since many live in moderate climates where roads are clear by noon in any snow fall, you can find an adaquate LRR tire. They DONOT match winter tires in snow. All seasons are good or poor snow…compared to other all seasons and are rated by those who DONOT see extreme conditons that require winter tires.

The trade off for any all season LRR is simply this…avoid driving in severe winter conditons, even if you have all wheel drive. That’s not necessary with winter tires. The trade offs come in severe conditons…whether they be braking, cornering or winter driving. You may not notice the difference in normal driving.

I am not suggesting that my all season radials have the tractin of snow tires. I don’t need snow tires in MD and don’t really think about them.

Of course I agree 100% with you on your not needing them. I just wanted to comment on test and reviews by owners on all season tires being “excellent” in snow…they maybe for them, but only in very light snow conditions to occational moderate conditons and not severe including ice which require snow treads.

@dagosa - You make it sound like if you don’t have snow tires then you’re stranded at the side of the road…or you get in an accident every time you drive in harsh conditions. That is just plain FALSE.

Wife has decent all season tires and this past record breaking winter … she never was left stranded…never even came close to getting in an accident…never had a problem getting up the 2-3 hills she has to traverse to and from work. Might have to take it a bit slower and drive more cautiously. But the all season tires preformed well even during some of those 6"+ storms before the plows were even out.