Loss of warranty information at parts stores?

As for the huffing, sniffing, or meth chemicals, this is one reason I HATE self checkouts! Basically any automotive chemical comes up as flagged so you have to wait for someone to verify your age or make sure you aren’t buying some crazy quantity that indicates you are up to no good. Yes, stuff I can’t see being used as a drug comes up flagged. This also applies to basically any cleaning supplies as well. Paints, caulks, or ANYTHING with a solvent come up.

Some of the stuff seems relatively innocent but I guess the crackheads can find a way to make use of it. Missouri must be the worst state for this crap!

Just to go off tangent, looking for food for dinner tonight. Used the self checkout line. I usually put everything in paper bags we use for recycle paper, but thought I would be neat and put a pork roast and chicken breasts in a plastic bag on the hanger. Forgot them at the store, had to order Pizza. Wife called the store, no credit without receipt. That went out in this mornings garbage pickup as it is not in the bags we save for recycle. Somebody got a couple of free meals I guess. Bud always said insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results, guess wife and I qualify, we must each have looked through the fridge and freezer 3 times!

I found with NAPA and Advance that ordering on line gets me a cheaper price than walking in. I figure if you are on the internet you can price compare, but not at the counter. I also scan and save receipts for expensive / long warranty items.

I think I might have more of an explanation for this but still no solution.

Basically I think the part numbers changed over the years so it is an obsolete part number. I have literally PAGES and PAGES or warranty items on the AutoZone computer and I would love to get a digital text file of these, Excel spreadsheet, CSV, or whatever that I could open and search. Even a paper printout would be great but they can’t do that. Apparently suspension components have a certain prefix in the AZ part numbering scheme so I could only look at those parts and do a Google search to ID what the part actually is. So I cannot sit down at the AZ computer myself, cannot get a printout, or digital copy. Is there any hidden way to find your warranty information online for AutoZone or not?

I bet I could narrow this down real quick if I actually had the papers in front of my. An Excel sheet would be even better and I would group all suspension parts and then search in Google to see what they are.

It would probably take a legal fight and court order for AutoZone to turn over computer files on parts. I suspect the fading receipts, lack of digital info, and the deepest desire of AZ means that they hope your car gets traded or crashed before you need to return a lifetime part.

I got a glimpse of the screen in the store once over a special order part failure which I mentioned previously and there was precious little showing on that screen after 20 years of who knows how many purchases. I even made a “Looks a bit skimpy to me” comment as to what was showing. And that part was not shown although just ordered and paid for about 3 months prior.

Again, I wonder if I could get them to let me take pictures of the computer screen with my phone, then I can search the numbers at home. Yes, it does seem like this is by design.

If you are an AutoZone rewards member and you go onto the website, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and click on rewards. sign in, and I believe you can see all your purchases you have made and the price you paid. you can go to different years too. If I remember correctly.

I am a rewards member so need to do this.

Anyway, here is what I found out. I happened to be at another AZ store and asked them to look through my records. They went right to the parts based on the date and the prefix indicating it was a suspension component. It was an obsolete part number issue as I expected. They let me take a screen shot of the computer with my smart phone showing the transaction, date, and part numbers.

The employee was very helpful and found this information in a couple minutes, if that. He said there was no excuse for the other store not being able to find my information which I would agree with watching him pull it up.

I plan to take these parts back in the next day or so when I get a free moment and will let everyone know how it goes. Maybe it is time to start cutting the part number off the boxes parts come in and save that as well…

I get that feeling as well. I wonder if they see a 1997 truck and figure it will be gone in 5 years.

The fact that the employees are either too untrained or lazy to lookup outdated part numbers is another issue. Maybe they are trained to be this way on purpose.

In the end I got most of my money back. I have a couple parts left that I think came from Oreilly but all the AZ parts are now returned. There is only one control arm that is questionable to me. If it doesn’t show at Oreilly, I am trashing the thing to the scrap pile and being done with it.

The auto parts store refunded your money for the failed parts?

They were sold with a lifetime warranty so yes. They failed and a shop replaced them since I didn’t feel like doing it myself and had a shop do it and save the old parts as I knew many had a lifetime warranty and I had spent a pretty penny back when I bought them. The shop used their own supplier of course and they were not a fan of AutoZone. The rest are a few parts that I am unsure of or might have come from a different store. I am not real worried about many except for a more costly one. I will check the other store and if they cannot find it, I will throw whatever is left in the scrap bin for recycling.

You are fortunate they no longer offer suspension parts for your truck, or you would be installing low quality parts once again.

Yeah, the shop I used said to never buy AutoZone suspension components.

1 Like