Looking for substitutions for this part

here’s a piece of rubber, rather pliable - e.g. not as hard as hockey puck, more like a piece of stale bread. the original piece is rather pricey, as I need a bunch of them. fuel and brake lines are held within this rubber mount. the rubber mount is then sandwiched between a metal clasp and nylon nut on a screw built onto the body.

if anyone knows a piece like this on their car, or any other creative ideas of where to find a block of rubber like this (e.g. a craft store), would be interesting to know.

the dimension coming out of the plane of the paper is about 20 mm.

The craft store idea ( Hobby Lobby )…styrofoam or sponge foam blocks, you cut to size.

Make your own. Plaster mold, bulk 2-part silicone rubber. Not sure how much they cost, so I can’t say if this will be cheaper. OR buy bulk rubber from Grainer or McMaster-Carr and cut your own. Freeze it overnight and cut away. Lube the tools with a little soapy water. Good Luck!

Depending on several things - like how great they need to be in terms of performance, what counts as “a bunch” and whether they are all the same in terms of structure and dimension I would think about building a little mold and using something like a polyurethane resin/caulk to fab a bunch. But I also like goofy projects and not everyone else does.

I’d rather find the cheapest source for that actual part, because it’s involved with both the fuel and brake systems, neither of which do you want failing (FIREY DEATH!!).

Why would you not go to the dealer parts department, have the guy look up the part, and then do an internet search for replacements? Or even order some from the dealer?

Thanks, a few comments to add now, at least because this sort of thing - fabricating from rubber - comes up now and again, and best I have found is buying hockey pucks. I don’t want to deviate from the original design at all.

As might be evident, I already have bought one from the dealer. You can see the photo showing a brand new item. It is looking like it might turn out that I will do this for unforeseen circumstances.

The crafts store or Grainger or Amazon etc idea is what sounds best and sounds like it is a slam-dunk - but in practice, browsing rubber on a computer just isn’t the same as holding the piece in hand. Once I manage to get in any B&M store, best I get is to randomly find some product marketed for another purpose - this is more tiresome to navigate than it sounds, and is for long-term projects because it takes so long. I am really looking for a B&M store where you can browse a selection of item and compare in-hand. If any specs of the rubber I should identify, let me know.

So any specific products that can be cited that make good rubber blocks would help here - for instance “my little pony fun craft set found at Christmas Tree Shops has a long rubber block”, or “Honda crv’s have this kind of piece to fill a void in the door sill, part number 525262” or some such is the form of response I was going for.

I can’t give you a specific product, but hobby shops - not necessarily craft stores - sell kits for creating molds and fabbing parts. These will allow you to create a mold from anything you want - i.e. your proto-type piece makes the mold. I think they’re usually set up for doing plastics, but I doubt that the mold cares what you put in it. In other words, with the one you have, you should be able to make exact replicas.

If you:
a) don’t want to pay the dealer prices and
b) "don’t want to deviate from the original design at all "

…then that’s not a bad option. Looking for some substitute is not going to get you to the original design.

All you are talking about is rubber mounts. I think I paid $35 for rubber body mounts but when you think about the environment they operate in, they have to be tough. I doubt you’ll get the same characteristics by molding your own. Plus by the time you get all done, you probably won’t save anything. If you must make your own, go to McMaster-Carr and find the proper base material, then cut away with the band saw.

Vague Background Information Will Generally Yield Vague Assistance.

I’m not seeing specifics for some reason. Perhaps if you include type of vehicle, make, model, model-year, and what “pricey” is and how many a " bunch " quantity is, better suggestions could result.

Junior, are you willing to give it a try ?

Thank You,
CSA

In similar situations I have cut and drilled conveyor belt material to replace unavailable cushioning/locating parts. The sidewall of a light duty tire would be similar to the belting.

@common_sense_answer ah, I see what you did there with that clever username - I’ll try my bestest : Porsche part number 999 591 975 40, from illustration 201-15 of the 85-88 parts list. The car is a 1987 Porsche 944 NA, pricey is fifteen bucks each, I need seven (the total is 8, however since I already have one, that means I need seven). Also note that the millimeter measurements are given in the photo, sorry if that’s not clear. I could go through a discussion of the parts diagram also if time/space permit. However for this question I am in fact looking for general answers, thus the general question. General is not the same as vague. Also I described the form of response I was looking for in case you missed it, and asked about specs of rubber I ought to know about. I will go through Eric S. Raymond’s essay “how to ask questions the smart way” again to get a better handle on the problem too, it should be productive.

@cigroller thanks for drawing the distinction between hobby and craft, wasn’t thinking about that! Yes, it appears that for this one, I might bite the bullet. But for the future, all these things are worth keeping in mind.

Sorry but that’s only a little over $100 plus shipping and no hassle. You can’t hardly get the oil changed for that in a Porsche. I’d just go back to plan A and order the parts. I thought maybe you were talking about a science project or something and 20 or 30 of them for $40-50.

Since you’ve already purchased one from the dealer, you have the nomenclature and part number. It would seem a simple task to Google. That’s what I do.

This guy has so many questions that need to be directed to a Porsche site I wonder how he will get it out of his mothers basement if it is ever finished.

I would almost think a little great foam or similar would be a reasonable substitute from the description in the op.

On the interstate you often see the rubber treads that have come off truck tires- free materials. Some of my favorite tools I have found in the roadway.

@the_same_mountainbike you do what - use Google?

30 seconds, found this
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=999-591-975-40-OEM

No way I’d mickey mouse mountings for brake lines and fuel lines instead of paying $88 for 8 of them.

I have 8 of them you might be able to persuade me to part with. But they still have a car attached! :slight_smile: