Looking For an SUV's with Column-mounted Shifter

The Outback is kind of big, but still does good on gas, the Forrester is a little smaller, but you really sound like a Crosstrek kind of person to me. The Crosstrek might be a little small for the grandparents though. One would be OK but the that has to sit in the back might not be too keen on that.

That sounds interesting. I will look into that one.
I am mostly concerned about my grandfather due to his knees. Grandma actually prefers the back seat sometimes.

An elderly friend with back and leg problems who uses a walker is able to get in and out of her daughter’s Mazda CX-5 SUV and ride comfortably in it.

A Suburu Forester is similiar size with a nice height. The AWD is good in snow. The downside of an AWD is that you truly need to keep the tires rotated on schedule and if one tire needs replacing fue to damage you will have the cost of replacing all four tires so that the tread depth/wear remains the same.

Meg , Forums have two things 1. Replies you like 2. Replies you don’t like .

This may be one you don’t like as it is impossible to actually know someone just by what they post.
I think your grandparents might be reluctant to except your well meaning help for several reasons . You took 4 years with a learners permit , you said the rear window is to far a way on vans , you can’t breath in small vehicle’s ( I don’t understand that at all ) , you said a Fiesta was not a good winter vehicle ( again does not make sense ) plus the part about column shift .

If you have told all of this to them I can understand why they might be a little cool to your help . I would also doubt your driving ability as of now. I say find a vehicle that meets your needs and budget , get experience and show people that you can be relied on. Then if the grandparents need help they will ask.

No worries, I respect your view point.

I am not planning to drive them around right away, because I know I do not have the current skills. This is why I will be taking driving lessons so I can train myself to be a good and safe driver. And they know what my skill level is at the moment, and support me learning to drive. They are not opposed to the idea of me helping them at all.

The years with my leaners was due to difficult life events. I went from a village to the big city, which at the time I had not yet driven in the city.

The rear windows feel quite far away to me, due to unfamiliarity. The vehicle I had spent most of my time driving in was the GMC truck, where the back window was right behind you. It was only a two seater.

The “can’t breath in small cars” comment, was not a serious statement or issue I have. I can breath fine, I just meant it as a way to describe how uncomfortable small cars make me feel. Again, this is mostly a unfamiliarity issue, I drove more larger cars, the Fiesta wasn’t around for too long to train in before we got something else.

In regards to the Fiesta not being a good winter car. I live in an area in Canada where we can get lots of snow and very cold temperatures. When my Dad had the Fiesta it struggled through the winter. It was too low to compensate for the few feet of snow, and it started to have electrical issues during that time as well. My Dad and I actually quite liked that little thing. We bonded over putting speakers in it. But due to the unreliability we experienced, he decided to get something else.

I will take my time on the matter of training myself. I like driving and want to be a safe driver. As for what car I may get, well, we will see when the time comes.

Thank you for your viewpoint. I can understand your concern. I will work on the issues I have. It’s all a learning experience.

1 Like