Looking For an SUV's with Column-mounted Shifter

gauge — brake

Common misspelling. You can even find “gage” etched into gauge panels by the factory on some old aircraft.

The key is to be open-minded and ready to change.

My elder daughter first monthly premium was something like $300 at her age of 18.

The very next month, we shopped around and it became something like $100 less.
Iterated a couple more times within next few months.

Sure enough it was not into something reasonable for another couple of years, but that was indeed “15 minutes which can save you 15% or more on car insurance” :slight_smile:

Now I’m about to repeat it all over again… the younger one is to get her license this year.

The OP, @meg.pony_157208, has stated she is age 22 and has been driving a variety of family and work vehicles on a permit for four years. So the young lady is not a kid. Yes, insurance will almost surely be more expensive now than after she turns 25 in a few years. But since she has a driving record for reference when shopping for insurance coverage and that she isn’t looking for a snazzy new sports car, her premiums won’t be crazy like those of a 16 year old getting behind the wheel for the first time.

That said, @meg.pony_157208, remember not only to get comparative insurance quotes from multiple reputable insurers but also get comparative quotes on the several vehicles that make your short list. You can tell insurers the make and model and a range of years/age of vehicles you are considering and get a range of pricing that will get precise once you have two or three specific vehicles your choice has come down to. I’ve successfully done this each time I’ve shopped for a new car. It requires some time and effort but is well worth doing so.

1 Like

Ah, man. No worries, I love that truck. Wish I could have my own for those nice summer days to cruise around with. Maybe one day far off. :sweat_smile:

Course our truck has been set up with modern tires.

Haha! Interesting. My mistake.

Unfortunately spelling is not my strongest skill.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind when the time comes.

On the way home on the freeway, I was driving next to a lady in an older Taurus

She had one hand on the wheel and one hand on her phone

That probably explains why one of her mirrors was broken clean off . . . :smirk:

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. Again, I will keep this in mind. It sounds like a smart thing to do.

Unfortunately though, I may have mislead you. Yes I have had my learners for four years, starting last month. However, I haven’t driven much in those last years. The original plan was to be taught by my Dad back home. Unfortunately circumstances caused me to move out, so any driving training didn’t continue after that.

I did most of my driving in that first year, so I’m afraid that any skills I had learned then, most likely is no longer with me, since I was unable to get behind the wheel again. Until a few months ago where my grandpa let me drive his van for a brief 15 minuets. (I didn’t do anything impressive, that’s for sure.)

As for the work truck, I am not on the insurance, so I have not driven it. However that is one of my goals when I get my licence since we have a lack of drivers. It would be more of an asset, and my supervisor has encouraged it.

Oh dear, tsk tsk.
I can’t believe how people still risk it, even though you can get a fine for it where I live.

@meg.pony_157208 No, you didn’t mislead. I made some assumptions.

Anyway, your plan to get professional driver’s training is excellent and smart. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry about thinking that you were only 15. Now I’m going to offer you a suggestion that I am not totally into, but you should consider it at least.

Subaru. I have a 2014 Legacy that is rough riding and noisy. Consumer Reports gave it high marks for that year and tied it with the Toyota Camry. It had the highest reliability on the CR charts but mine has been problematic. It’s my first Subaru so that is not a good introduction. I drove a 2017 bottom of the line Outback as a loaner during one of its repairs and it was a LOT quieter and smoother.

Anyway, they do get very good gas mileage for their size, I get about 29 mpg overall, and that is measured, not the readout from the computer. It is one of the easiest vehicles for people with limited mobility to get into or out of, which is the reason we bought it as my wife was having trouble bending one of her knees. The seats are at handicap height off the ground and the doors are bigger, or hinged differently, not sure but getting in for older people is much easier. My wife and I are 70.

I don’t care for the all wheel drive, I find it to be harder to control on slick surfaces. Winter grade tires would help on snow or ice though. The only other issue is the stick shift, ours is in the console. But other than that, you might give them a look.

You can also get a fine here for driving while holding the phone in the hand

I believe the first fine is relatively, cheap, but then it escalates

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I appreciate all the advice you have given me.

No worries at all, I get it a lot. :smile:

I will so some research on the Subaru Legacy, the Toyota and the Subaru Outback. Give them a look. Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate the wisdom of the generations before me. :slight_smile:

Yeah I think that sounds right.

I guess people do it because lots don’t get caught.

Suburu Forester is also worth a look.

10/4 :+1:
I have made a list of the vehicles that were mentioned…

-Honda CR-V
-Toyota Rav4
-Mazda CX-5
-GMC Yukon
-Chevy Tahoe
-Chrysler Voyager
-Toyota Sienna
-Subaru Legacy
-Toyota Camry
-Subaru Outback
-Suburu Forester

Are there any other vehicles anyone would recommend looking into or perhaps have had experience with?

I think I am mostly interested in a compact SUV, and if that doesn’t work then a more spacious car. Something I feel I can “breath” in.

Given everything you’ve described, that type of vehicle seems to be the best choice.

I am currrently driving my third Outback (a 2011 model), and it currently has close to 99k on the odometer. To date, its “problems” have been as follows:

The sensor for the level of fluid in the WW washer fluid reservoir failed, so the entire reservoir was replaced under the terms of the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty.

That’s it. No other repairs over a period of 9 years (I got it in September, 2010) and almost 99k miles. And, it consumes almost no oil between changes. Right after I bought it, I purchased 2 quarts of 5w-30, to keep on hand, just in case. I finally finished the last bit of those 2 quarts of oil a few months ago.
:thinking: