Looking for a new (to me) car

Try something like a Mazda 3 manual and see if it works for you, just about anything will be more expensive to insure until you turn 25 but Mazda 3’s have been reliable and fun cars for the group of owners i’ve known but it’s personal preference.

1 Like

I can remember when I was your age, and I had a beat up 1988 Toyota Corolla. It would have cost over $100 a month to insure it at the policy limits which my dad required, if it was titled in my name. Instead, it was jointly titled to him and my mom, and I was just a named driver, which kept the insurance at a reasonable level. I can assure you that if I had wanted something “sporty” like a Ford Probe or Toyota Celica, which were very popular at the time, the insurance would have been a lot higher.

Now, 19 years later, I still drive old cars with a 4-cylinder engine. The fuel costs, upkeep, and insurance are much more affordable on a 4-cylinder car than they would be on a “sporty” model or big SUV.

My advice is to see which of the three available engines your Sebring has. If it has the 2.4L 4-cylinder, or 3.5L V-6, I’d keep it. If it has the dreaded 2.7L V-6, I’d get rid of it ASAP while it still runs. However, the fact that it still runs today, after 10 years tells me that you do not have the 2.7L after all.

The V6 in that year Sebring was the 3.0 Mitsubishi engine.

The 3.0L Mitsubishi V-6 was used in many Chrysler products from 1988 through 2000. It was never offered after the 2000 model year, and was used only in minivans from 1996 onward. It was a great engine, but this has nothing to do with the OP’s 2009 Chrysler Sebring.

When my teen got her driver’s license, suddenly my manual shift sports Focus became too expensive to insure. My insurance classified it as a sports car. I got quotes for quite a few manual cars and settled on a 6 speed Hyundai Veloster Turbo. It is not very fast, but it is fast enough.

I also like the Mazda 3 option mentioned above. Not sure how much your budget will be, but whatever you want to buy, call your insurance for a quote first as they work doesn’t always make a whole lot of sense.

Actually, we were both wrong. I had been looking online at a 2009 Sebring that the seller listed as having the 3.0 V6, I guess he doesn’t know what is in his car.
The 3,0 Mitsu engine was used through the 2005 model year in Sebring Coupes and convertibles. The 4 dr sedans we different cars built on different chassis at least until 2005. The 2 doors had a Mitsubishi built 2.4 or the 3.0, The 4 doors had a Chrysler built 2,4 or 2.7 V6. These specs are based partly by my memory, but backed by Rock Autos catalogue.

A lot of sources seem to be very confused by the Sebrings.

Faster but lower insurance premiums? I presume by faster you mean the 0-60 time spec. hmmm … That’s a tough one. I think what you’ll have to do is buy an older vehicle than the one you have now. Something from the late 80’s - late 90’s. Toyota MR2, Honda 2000, Mazda Miata, Porsche Boxster.