A New Car

Hey guys. So I am in need of my first car. I want something that will definitely last me and I don’t want to pay too much for it since I am just using it to get to work and possibly driving to school. I was just wondering if you had any suggestions about what kind of car you thought would be right for me. Thank You!

-Marina

What’s your budget? You might get the Consumer Reports car buyers guide, lots of good info.

New or used? How much $$$$? How many MPG do you want to get? Small car or big? What do you want in a car?

On the Car talk site, click on “Actual Car Info”, then “Car Talk Auto Advisor”. It is a program which asks you some specific questions about your tastes and needs and suggests different models of cars that may work for you.
PS. You are just BEGGING for abuse on this site by asking such a vague question.

Cars provide two functions. Transportation and Status. What is your primary need??

I agree ! Start research there.

Suggestion #1:

No matter what car you get, the first thing you do is to read the owner’s manual front to back. If you don’t understand something ask. Then make sure you follow all the maintenance recommendations.

Nothing else is going to make as big a difference as following the instructions in the owner’s manual. No inter brand or inter model differences are as important.

CR is an excellent source to use…

But don’t read too much into their ratings. The difference in reliability between something rated average and something rated well above average is miniscule. When a used car rated average goes for $7,000 and one rated well above average of the same age/mileage is $9,000, you’re better off financially getting the average car, so long as it has been properly maintained.

This may be the second biggest investment you’ll ever make and the worse return. Depending upon people who sell the car for reliable information is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. CR is a great place to start, not only for models and makes of cars, but buying strategy as well. “Their” reliability ratings are nothing more than a history of those who chose to participate and are usually regular subscribers. They are not without fault, but have a much greater tendency for the truth than the propaganda peddled by paid shills, including auto manufacturers themselves and periodicals who pretend to independently test while taking paid advertisement from the same.

Your insurance company will give you the best options to look for