Looking for a device to help me with parking issues

I don’t understand why she got so upset because I asked what model the 2016 Chevrolet was.

Parking spaces are supposed to be 8.5 to 9 feet wide ( Not always going to be that ) and the Sonic is 68 inches wide ( 5.75 feet ) .

2 Likes

Are there parking spaces on the other side? If so often times I check my rear view mirror to see how well centered I am.

In our underground parking garage at work, we had very narrow stalls in order to fit three cars between concrete pillars. I don’t remember if they were 8 feet or what anymore but a foot less than standard. Everyone backed into those stalls. It took some practice but most everyone managed to do it. Of course some cars still had the yellow paint transfer from the pillars, but most got the hang of it. Because of the pillar location on one row, only two cars would fit. I assigned those to the ones with the biggest offices. Rank has privilege.

There are aftermarket rearview mirrors that have a front facing camera along with a backup camera if this doesn’t already have one.

Plenty of suggestions. Is there nothing in the distance which you can use as a guide…centre or to the driver’s side. Could you paint a luminous yellow strip in front of your centred driving position and drive at it…rather than something central. I guess you could ask about swapping for an end spot …is it ‘first in best dressed’ or condo-specific. Practice yes…but practice getting your driver’s side gap right…forget the centre…that will be right if your drier alignment is right. I admit to thinking whether you might be dangerous on the road if unable to determine properly- positioning your car in a gap but…step at a time. You might…as as so cheap now mount a camera facing down from your bumper bar and use the image in the cabin to do the alignment either in front of you or central to the car,…using a painted luminous marker (luminous for night entry to the spot).

I think the “practice, practice, practice” suggestion above is probably enough to do the trick. It is probably awkward for you to to practice at the condo parking lot, too many neighbor’s watching. So instead find another parking lot with nobody around, like a business park on the weekends, and practice parking there all you like. You may discover there are features on your car, front center of hood, corners, windshield, mirrors etc, that you can use to align with the lines that mark the parking spot as you pull in. Nothing preventing you from making a small mark on a critical spot on windshield if that’s at all helpful, it’s your car after all. The side mirrors might be particularly useful, both as guide points, and even looking backward at the parking lines through the side mirrors.

Years ago I needed to find an empty parking lot to fly my toy airplane (the type that uses a sort of gasoline-based fuel and makes a lot of noise), found a good lot behind a gov’t building, huge, and totally car-less on Sundays.