Locked Ignition Cylinder

My 1990 Toyota Corolla has 205,000 miles. Some months ago the tip of the key broke off in the ignition cylinder. Even so, the car started with the broken key. A month ago the ingition cylinder locked up and I replaced it with a new one. A week ago, however, the ingition became “sticky” and was hard to start. And then it locked up again. Did I replace the cylinder incorrectly, or was the new one defective? Should I buy a new ignition cylinder, or should I put the car in the shop? …Harry Norman, Oklahoma

Maybe the original cylinder broke because there was too much resistance in the switch and the new cylinder is already showing indications of stress. How much pressure is required to turn the ignition on and engage the starter?

The ignition switch and the column lock can be located some distance apart, connected by a long rod that travels down the steering column…I would remove the new cylinder you installed and see if you can spot the problem…Perhaps some bits and pieces from the old cylinder are jamming the mechanism…

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Actually, after I installed the new cylinder, it started quite smoothly for several weeks. No pressure at all. Then it started to get gradually “sticky” for several weeks until it locked up. Had to wiggle the key around to get it positioned just so. Something caused it to get out of alignment, but beats me what.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I think that you are right, that bits and pieces from the old cylinder are jamming the mechanism. I now have a new problem. The cylinder is stuck and I can’t get it out. Supposedly the pin underneath the cylinder releases it when the pin is depressed, but it doesn’t budge. Guess I’m going to have to put it in the shop.

Does someone drive while holding and spilling coffee, etc. over the lock cylinder? How many keys are on the ring with the ignition key?

“The Shop” should be a locksmith, not a general repair shop…