Limp Steering Wheel? Adjustment Lever Broken/Lost Part

Recently while my brother was driving my car, a piece fell out of the steering column at his feet, and the steering wheel fell limp. I can only assume it acts as a washer, or some kind of catch for the block to grab onto for adjustments. Id add a photo of it, but I can only use 1 a post.

To a degree, it doesnt stop one from driving, albeit the wheel is in-between your legs and no amount of power steeling with make it feel any less like driving a boat through mud.

After tearing the fabric back from the steering wheel, I also noticed the asymmetry of these bolts/washers. Cant find manuals or prints on it, so no clue if this is a botched job or intentional.

You can clearly see where a U-shaped washer may go, in the U-shaped slots below the bolts, but I cant figure out how it would lock it onto the bolt, assuming that is the case.

Looking for any advice to get my steering wheel back to full functionality. Or a the very least, a way to jam it up, propping it up so Im not driving with my gooch.

The Washer Part that fell out

Unscrew the nuts in the picture. Go to the hardware store and buy washers close to tne same size as the one on the right. Buy 3 or 5.

Fit the u shaped parts on the column onto the threaded parts. Put the large washer on the right on the right threaded part. Screw the nut on. Screw it up just lightly snug. Put one or 2 washers on the left threaded part. Put the nut on. Tighten it. Tighten the one on the right.

If you doubt your abilities even slightly, take the car to a proper mechanic.

I can’t believe you actually drove like this. That was wildly unsafe.

2 Likes

The column is intended to move off the mount in a serious collision. Someone performed a hack repair, you are missing the proper mounts for the column.

Inspect the front mount, something may have sheared, the column should not be able to move forward off the rear mount.

In my soul defense, I did not drive it far, or rather at all. My brother drove the car home and dropped it off when it was broken.

As for the bolts, that isnt my handy work, but will be mine to fix. No c;ue who jerry rigged it, but I know who’s gonna jerry rig it next.

Thanks for the tips

1 Like

If you decide on a diy’er repair, suggest to at least have a pro shop take a look at the repair when it is complete. The steering system is safety critical, both to you and other drivers. Best of luck.