Lexus LX 470 Timing belt change

Got 147k on this 2000 LX and feel it’s probably time to change the timing belt. Any tips or suggestions please. Thanks.

If the belt has not been change and if it has a belt rather than a chain, then I would change it.  I hate being stuck in the middle of no where.  

If it is a belt on an interference engine, I would not use the car until it is changed. 

BTW I am assuming that is 147,000 miles not 147,000K

I believe that your engine has a timing chain, rather than a timing belt. But, why take my word for it? I strongly suggest that you open your glove compartment, find the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule, and read it thoroughly–even if you have never done this previously.

If there is no mention in the maintenance schedule of replacing a timing belt, then this would confirm that you have a timing chain. On the other hand, if the schedule does list a timing belt change, this will allow you to see just how late you are with this service that is usually performed at an interval such as every 7 years/105,000 miles. And, while you are at it, take a look at other listed maintenance procedures in order to see what might have been skipped.

I believe that your engine has a timing chain, rather than a timing belt.

My wifes new ES350 has a belt. I think most of the Lexus’s have belts.

According to the Gates Timing belt guide the LX470 has an interference engine and is due for a belt change at 90k. I would change it ASAP. If the belt breaks, it is likely major damage will occur from the pistons hitting the valves.

“LX470 1998-01 *4.7L V8 T298 90,000”

Ed B.

That vintage Lexus shares its engine with the Tundra and Sequoia which require a timing belt around 100k miles.

I think you missed the year, the ES in the past and now shared its engine with the Camry and some req’d t-belts too.