Lexus CT 200h - Stutters when launched

It’s possible @Mary37 is referring to the recall for failing fuel pumps. Toyota and Lexus Recall Cars That Can Stall Abruptly While Driving From what I can see, though, it doesn’t involve this model.

1 Like

Consumer Reports had a big article about recalls.

What recalls? The non-hybrid cars have fuel pump issues but only the LS hybrid has one. I doubt that engine uses the same fuel pump as your car.

Yes, they did, and as far as I can tell it’s the same recall I cited before. It’s for fuel pumps and it doesn’t involve your model. This one, right? Toyota, Lexus Recall More Vehicles That Could Stall - Consumer Reports Here’s a quote:

Sorry but as my uncle used to say, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

The Lexus and Toyota vehicles involved in the fuel pump recall have brushless DC motors in the fuel pumps, the hybrids use conventional DC motors.

When the fuel pump fails, the engine stalls as stated in the recall, the vehicle does not stutter then drive away.

With a failing fuel pump the engine may start after several attempts or may require a tow. The computer will record a low fuel pressure fault and the check engine light will be illuminated. If you experienced the same problem you left out some details.

Well, Toyota does seem to say that it might respond to complaints under a ‘customer service campaign’. I’d keep pushing Toyota corporate for satisfaction, it sounds like your fuel pump could be causing the problem. Of course, you could pay to have it replaced, cheaper than the worry or trading in the car.

Mine doesn’t stall it just hesitates and then takes off. I’m getting a new suv as soon as I can figure out what to buy. Looking at 2020 midsize luxury SUV’s, every list is different.

Yes, different problem, not the one covered by the recall. Keep after the dealership to fix it.

Who pays the technician for his time? If a technician spends 20 hours searching for a problem that can not be replicated does he go home without pay? If the driver brakes with their left foot there may not be a defect with the vehicle.

Dealership refused to fix it, called corp. and they won’t fix it. Does anyone know if I canteen get it fixed by a local mechanic? Is it fixable?

Has the problem been diagnosed? Were you able to demonstrate the problem? There is no “fix” for a problem that has not been diagnosed.

You can select any repair shop you wish to repair your vehicle.

Do you brake with you left foot? If your foot is touching the brake pedal, the accelerator pedal will not respond.

1 Like

Some independent mechanics are reasonably knowledgeable in regard to hybrid vehicles, and others are not. So, maybe yes, maybe no…

No left foot braking, Lexus knows abt problem. I don’t know how to describe problem. The car runs great and once in a while when taking off from stop sign or light I hit the gas and sometimes it will die and I hit the gas again and it takes off. I’m getting a. new SUV like a Cadillac XT5 is that a good choice?

It gets tepid reviews for driving pleasure, but that’s from people that appreciate acceleration and handling. Test drive one and see if you like it. That was the main complaint from testers. You might also consider a Volvo XC60.

I certainly would not have one but I would not even attempt to tell you or anyone else if a vehicle is a good choice for you or them. I only buy new so I can have full warranty and if I have had too many problems during that period it is gone . No problems than we just drive it until we want something else.

The expense involved in having a tech go for a 10 minute ride with her should be minimal. He could verify your theory of left foot braking and who knows, he might actually notice something relevant. If it were my vehicle I’d expect to pay a diagnostic fee but anyone who’s ever owned or run a business knows sometimes you take a loss.

A lady at work loves her Lincoln SUV. Acura is another possibility. I do agree that you shouldn’t go back to the same dealership if you replace your Lexus because they’ve clearly written you off.

I TOOK THE Lexus in for service and had them drive the car and of course it would not stutter so they refused to fix it. My only recourse is to sell the car. Was thinking about the Cadillac xt5 awd SUV.
Any suggestions? I want a very comfortable reliable SUV.

Is there no way to get it to repeat the problem? This means you taking the dealer person on a drive, not them driving.

On average, Lexus/Toyota are MUCH more reliable than Cadillac. Buy the latest (April) Consumer reports, it has lots of car reliability information, along with a lot more.

Comfort is different to everyone. Only a test drive will let you decide if it is right for you. Do you really need AWD ? Also it appears that a Hybrid might not be for you.

The problem is random. Lexus drove it and nothing happened.