Lesabre rattling noise

I have been looking forward to seeing the video of the failing A/C pulley/bearing.

If the compressor is inoperative and the clutch relay is stuck, disconnect the clutch connector. A new clutch assembly is $40, the pulley/bearing is all that is needed to make the drive belt operate. The clutch drive plate isn’t needed, no chance of having a seized clutch/compressor without the clutch drive plate.

1 Like

Who is asking to seeing the video of the failing A/C pulley/bearing?? lol

I asked to see the tensioner… :wink:

He said the A/C clutch is noisy, I would like to see proof of the failing bearing or slipping clutch.

2 Likes

If the tensioner stops knocking when held from reaching full travel, this suggests the belt has stretched or is too long.

1 Like

Stopped at another service shop. His opinion was either the ac or harmonic balancer. It does have a very slight wobble. It makes no noise without belt but maybe that little tension on it?

I picked up a bypass pulley. I plan to change that next week. If that doesn’t fix it I’ll pull the h balancer and see what that looks like.

That was mentioned 25 days ago…

Good lord. About a month into this with no progress. With all the time you’ve wasted, this should have been in the shop and done by now. I know I value my time, apparently you don’t. Even if the fix is $400, you’ve wasted more than that just in your time.

1 Like

Another person with poor hearing?

If you believe the A/C clutch is noisy, remove the clutch plate and start the engine. How long could that take?

If the A/C pulley bearing is damaged and loose, this will be obvious after removing the clutch plate.

I finally got back to this car.

I was planning to put that by pass pulley on but decided to rent a HB puller and pull that off first.

First and main reason for this post is the bolt loosened up by hand. I pulled it off anyway instead of tightening and try it. I can’t see anything wrong with the pulley.

I assume being loose would obviously cause a chattering.

But no. I put pulley back and and tighten. Still chattered.

I have to get a ac clutch pulley remover.

1 Like

I did remove the clutch plate yesterday. Tan it like thst. Still the noise. Perhaps it’s the ac pulley. I’ll pull that next and put on the bypass. The ac is prob the hardest to get to.

Yesterday I put the bypass pulley on. Noise still there.

So it’s not the AC ALT WP TENSIONER TENSIONER BRACKET ASSEMBLY and the HB PULLEY look good. The PS PULLEY is good. Certainly not coming off by itself. The rubber looks perfect on the ginside of the HB.

I will be borrowing that scope again this weekend to take more listens with the tire off at different locations that gives me access too.

Perhaps it’s in the motor and it needs the stress of the belt on the HB to make it happen? I doubt that

Besides that I’m closing this case and getting AAA WHEN I DRIVE IT WITH COLDER WEATHER.

You replaced the tensioner with a USED one, you have NOT tried a NEW one…
Also, did you ever replace the Belt with a new belt??

I have already said this before but I will say it again… You can have a perfectly working tensioner (you think anyway) with NO issues, then you go and move the tensioner out of it’s normal range of use to full one way, and then release it to full the other way and then it no longer can works as intended…

Hell, I pulled a perfectly running engine and transmission (never touched a bell bolt) from one vehicle and dropped it right into a different vehicle with no issues, done it many times before and after, well the big V8 lost 2 cylinders and the transmission started slipping bad… sometimes sh@t happens…

1 Like

Which part exactly is it you think has already been proven conclusively to be junk?

That is what Knocksensor posted 6 hours ago so I think this thread can go to sleep .

Are you closing this thread due to your lack of interest?

George, what was the video you posted about, come on now…
The AC clutch… you were having the OP do test on a dead part…

A pro mechanic would have already fixed this with in the same day, some/most in a few hours… lol

Do all of the pro mechanics here concur the AC clutch has already been proven to be faulty ?

OMG George, the OP ALREADY said the F’ing thing was freaking LOCKED UP!!!

Now you are just getting ridiculous…

2 Likes

Sounds like that clutch plate has been removed before. At one point, in the past or now, the clutch plate shims were lost. With no air gap this explains why the clutch does not disengage. That would not result in a noise.

lol … I agree, it is not clear to me that the AC clutch has been proven to be faulty and/or the cause of the noise. May be the case, but so far it hasn’t been proven.