Lesabre rattling noise

Do you mean the belt is slipping over the pulley (rather than turning it) when the engine is running? Or do you mean the belt is turning the compressor ok, but since it is turning it all the time the engine is on, the compressor is shot and making the noise?

Noā€¦

Yes the belt is turning both the clutch and the compressor as already statedā€¦

One has nothing to do with the other, other than the clutch spins the compressor when engaged and doesnā€™t when not engagedā€¦

Now you can have a compressor come apart and lock up or no longer pump freon and the clutch still be goodā€¦ You can also have a perfectly working compressor and a bad clutch that will not engage no matter whatā€¦ Or in the OPā€™s case the clutch is not only bad, it is frozen while engaged or the clutch bearing had seized making the clutch drive the compressor no matter whatā€¦ I have not heard a bad compressor make the noise as described by the OP, but I have heard a bad compressor make noise anytime it is spinningā€¦ Is it possible the OPā€™s noise at idle only is a bad compressor, but it is more likely it is a weak tensionerā€¦

Now if we Pros could hear the noise, it would be much easier to diag the noiseā€¦ but since we canā€™t hear the noise or test in person, we are making recommendations for the most likely part making the noiseā€¦

EDIT: hear it and see it

Is it possible to make a video on a iPhone and put on here?

Yepersā€¦ .

I made a video but the site would not allow it

Open a YouTube account and up load it to YT and then post it hereā€¦

I think you can also put it in a file thingy and the hit the upload button (right of the BOLD B and I and the hyper link etc symbols) and that might workā€¦ Some of the much smarter than me members can explain it WAY better then I canā€¦ lol

Your patience is admirable. :+1:

1 Like

I do a lot of drugsā€¦ :rofl:

Kidding

1 Like

What is your main objective OP? Diagnose the cause of the noise? Or repair the AC?

BTW, VDOā€™s posted here are rarely helpful for diagnostic purposes, esp for sounds.

But being able to see it (I forgot to add that, long post, oops) and hear it will help us see what the tensioner is doing, how it is movingā€¦ Most of the useless videos are from people not anywhere close to the noiseā€¦ If done correctly it is a big helpā€¦
Or you can take back over and have the OP test parts out that are already locked up and are of no help, since you donā€™t think that a Pro is asking the OP to do something for a reason to help outā€¦

OP, would you rather I discontinue posting on this thread?

Never said not to post on it, but a pro asked the op to do something and you pretty much told (in so many words) the op no need they rarely help anywayā€¦ Meaning it is a waste of timeā€¦
Maybe help by explaining how to post a video from the OPs phone rather than telling the OP since you did computer stuff for a livingā€¦

1 Like

I have no objection to the OP posting a vdo, if you think thatā€™s the best use of their time.

Do you think having the OP due test on a part that every Pro mechanic already knows is junk, and watching videos that have nothing to do with the OPā€™s issue the best use of their time??

Or do you think that a Pro mechanic that worked on that same vehicle as well as 1000ā€™s of others asking the OP to do something is a waste of their time??

And right now WE are BOTH wasting everyoneā€™s time talking about thisā€¦ let it goā€¦please

2 Likes

No George post away if u wish.

And my goal is not to fix the ac if thatā€™s the problem but to just put a bypass in. AC is not necessary

1 Like

I like your brutally honest comments :smiley:

But Iā€™ve noticed that those kinds of comments are lately being flagged and removed :laughing:

2 Likes

I really do hate being that way, seriously, I had much rather be civil, but I am an OCD anal a$$ hole by nature (Wifey coined it. lol) and can be very blunt when neededā€¦

Should have seen the looks on some of my mechanics faces when they would complain about a job or whatever and I would simply say, you know those wheels on the bottom of your tool box?? They will roll right back out of here if need beā€¦ :grin:

Some of my comments have also been flagged and removed lately

But Iā€™ll say this . . . before they were flagged and removed, several regulars ā€œlikedā€ my comments

So my comments apparently hit the nail on the head :hammer:

But I will NOT tell somebody I think theyā€™re doing a great job, when I in fact think theyā€™re doing it all wrong

4 Likes

Yep, and if the person responds back, then they read it and it doesnā€™t matter if it was flagged and removed or not, the point was madeā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

The reason I ask is b/c there seems to be a lot of focus here on the A/C clutch situation. That would make sense if your most important goal is to fix the A/C. But since thatā€™s not the main goal, if the existing clutch is engaged all the time, and that in turn has damaged the compressor resulting in the noise, replacing the clutch might not provide much help. For example, the new clutch may be on all the time as well, b/c the ā€œengageā€ control might be faulty, which could damage a replacement clutch and a replacement compressor. If the compressor is faulty, and if a new compressor comes with a new clutch , doesnā€™t make much sense to replace just the clutch.