Leaking Transmission, is it a good idea to put in a store bought sealer

I’ve a 1987 merc 300 SL & the transmission is leaking. is it ok to put one of those sealers. if so is there a recommended brand.
Thanks
Paul
Car Novice

Where is the leak, exactly? Also, that model wasn’t imported by MB into the US. Where are you?

looks like it’s right under the gear box. I have never lifted up the car, so I wouldn’t know exactly,

Why don’t you figure out what the leak is, for starters

if it’s the kick-down solenoid seal(s) . . . for example . . . that could be fixed without removing the transmission

There’s also a few servo cover seals that can be replaced without removing the transmission, if memory serves

However, if it’s the front pump seal . . . which would not be surprising, given the age of the car . . . that’s not something that could be fixed properly without removing the transmission

There are really only two times when it makes sense to put sealant into an automatic transmission: “never” and “not ever”. At all other times, you should do one of two things: find and repair the leaking seal/gasket/hose connection, or just keep adding approved transmission fluid as needed.

1 Like

Thank you.
Should I go to a transmission shop or wait till I find someone that’s works on old cars here. I’ve a starting issue too, I’m told it’s the cold starting valve, but could be any part before or after that’s causing the valve to fail.
Paul Griffith

Thank You.
You took me off the fence, I’ll wait till I can find a guy that can work on these cars. I’ve a cold starting issue too. Which is less no because it’s hot.
Paul Griffith

Cold start valve, huh?

It’s a distinct possibility,

You need somebody that can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to a Bosch KE-Jetronic and interpret the results correctly

That probably rules out a lot of shops and/or mechanics