Laser Spark Plugs

http://new…od/?hpt=T2

I’ll install them as soon as they are sold for 2 bucks apiece. Until then I’ll just use the old fashioned electrode type.

I think I will skip them. Of course I drive a diesel. :-}

This sounds more like an advertisement then anything else…

If these plugs were HALF what they claim then every single manufacturer would be using them…EVERY SINGLE ONE. Manufacturers spend MILLIONS each year trying to raise a vehicles gas mileage by just .5mpg…and Viola - Out comes this new Gimmick that claims this remarkable gas savings…It’s BOGUS…let me repeat…IT’S BOGUS…

. . . And I’m Now Supposed To Be Commuting In A Flying Car And Getting Around In My Rocket Belt, According To Predictions Like This From A Couple Decades Ago.

"Scientists are [looking to] harness the intensely focused light from laser beams . . . “
” . . . [will allow] more gasoline to be burned . . . "
“This [will lead] to better fuel efficiency . . . “
” . . . [can be] solved with the trusty laser.”

I don’t see any reports of actual data garnered during roadtests. This is just more theory and prediction. I just hope they plan on making ones that fit in my flying car and rocket belt.

CSA

I don’t see any reports of actual data garnered during roadtests. This is just more theory and prediction. I just hope they plan on making ones that fit in my flying car and rocket belt.

I don’t even think it’s theory…It’s probably not even science…It’s like all these other bogus products…they PAY someone who has SOME kind of credentials to say what every they want them to say…I’d be extremely surprised if ANY research into this was EVER done.

The other problem I have with this…is it takes a LOT of power to make a laser hot enough to ignite gas (especially in the 1/10,000th of a second the way a electric spark does.

Two links:

I couldn’t get to the OP link, but I’d bet it’s the same “technology”. They’re presenting it at Cleo 2011, in Baltimore (a show about all things laser). Who really knows? Lasers do have the capability of performing in this fashion, and with this kind of power (and more!). It’s quite a ways down the road, and likely to be just another expensive addon that will provide (very) little actual improvement like all the current ones (think throttle body extender).

OK…it does seem to have some legitimacy behind the science.

But I did notice in the article they said that it’s never been tried yet. So we’ll see if it actually works.

Many years ago there was an article about replacing cam-shafts with electronic actuated valves. There would be sensors on the flywheel (or crank shaft). Based on it’s position a computer would control the opening and closing of the valves. In theory it was a GREAT idea. And it actually worked (for a while anyways). The problem was the reliability of the valve solenoids. When placed in a harsh environment like an engine…they didn’t have the long term reliability of a cam-shaft and lifters (not even close).

As an engineer I’m all for technical advancements (in the right direction).

Certainly a ‘wait and see’ technology. The advantages I can understand are super-precise ignition timing (but I don’t really see how that’s a big advantage over today’s systems) and the ability (I’m guessing) to have ignition started in multiple locations, instead of just a point (the spark plug). If the laser can be operated in a way to create, say, a line source of ignition between the cylinder head and the piston, that might have benefits in controlling combustion.

Stick with OEM plugs.

Here’s another link (BBC):

The valve solenoids had another problem. As the engine increases in RPM, a stronger return spring in is needed to prevent floating. My understanding is that they had difficulty creating solenoids fast enough and strong enough for high RPM operation.

I believe they haven’t given up on the idea, however. I understan that solenoid operated valves are still expected to begin to show up on passenger cars.

My understanding is that they had difficulty creating solenoids fast enough and strong enough for high RPM operation.

It seems to me that would one thing I didn’t think they’d have a problem with.

Speakers routinely achieve many times what valve opening and closing can achieve (even on the race car engines which have much higher RPMs). A typical woofer will have a high-end of 500hz (equal to 30000 cycles a minute - How many car engines do you know who’s valves need to open and close that fast???)…Smaller speaker can even achieve MUCH higher. Granted it’ll be moving a valve as opposed to a cone, but the principle is the same and it’s proven they can achieve much higher cycles then is needed for an engine valve.

If the Laser plugs do come to existence…it’ll either be one or the other…They WON’T be interchangeable.

True, but speaker magnets have very little mass to move and even to do that requires substantial size magnets. And their distension is extremely limited, whereas valves have to open wide for the fluids to flow. Try moving that much mass that far that fast and the challange changes.

I’m only passing on what I’ve read in articles. I have no first hand knowledge.

A woofer is moving a lot of air mass…At farther distances then a valve has to open…And a 16" woofer will move a LOT of air volume…

I too am guessing…I have no practical experience…