Kindness to our OPs

“I didn’t build it ,buy it or break it”. I like that,
Is there a second half? “I can fix it for a price.”

I think the 2nd half goes like this:
“I’ve got the time, and I’ve got the parts,Just give me the word, and I’m ready to start; I think we can bring her in for-uh, eight-hundred bucks. But don’t be downhearted, I can fix it for you, sonny; It won’t take too long, it’ll just take money.”

I love this forum and have learned alot from you guys. Believe me, I’d rather ask my dumb questions here, get the story straight(or at least have a good idea of what might be going on) and then go to the mechanic. Then I can say: “I think it might be the …” instead of “Well, it’s making this noise that sounds like a bird chirping”. You guys rock.

The second half is you can fix it yourself if you want to save money.

Thanks, Aunt Maggie, for your self-righteous nagging.
Guess you have retired from kindergarten teaching and miss your pupils.

Posts like “SENSORS” make this quite a task.
Which they promptly pulled for lack of any response from th OP.

1. I would never fault someone for following the instructions in the owner’s manual. If an owner’s manual says not to change the transmission fluid, I blame the writer of the owner’s manual and the manufacturer for being stupid, not the OP.

2. As others have already stated, not reading the manual is stupid, and I insist on saying so. Many things (like a prospectus for an investment fund, for example), are dry reading. They are boring and the people who write them are not the best writers money can buy, but as a car owner (or an investor in a fund), if you decide not to read the material, you can’t blame the car manufacturer (or the fund manager) when things go wrong.

3. Those studies to which you refer ignore people like me, who want to be corrected and do change our behavior when we are corrected. Those studies refer to the majority, but if only 1 in 10 people learn from being corrected, that is enough for me.

4. I try not to offer unsolicited parenting/relationship advice, but I will say when something presented as a car issue is a parenting/relationship issue. Cars are wonderful things, but when someone wants to find a car with features that address parenting/relationship issues, they are treating a symptom of the problem while ignoring the problem. In other words, I try not to give direct advice, but I think it should be okay to say “That isn’t a car issue.”

5. As objective observers, we only get half the story (most of the time). As troubleshooters, we have to remain skeptical in order to be useful.

Yes, OPs often get answers they don’t like, but we are about finding the truth and finding answers, not making sure everyone has a good time. If you want to have a good time, go to a forum where everyone pats each other on the back all day. Yes, the honesty can get brutal here, but I have learned a lot from that brutal honesty.

“Yes, OPs often get answers they don’t like, but we are about finding the truth and finding answers, not making sure everyone has a good time. If you want to have a good time, go to a forum where everyone pats each other on the back all day. Yes, the honesty can get brutal here, but I have learned a lot from that brutal honesty.”

It’s not what you say, but how you say it that counts. Most people see red when they read a demeaning post. Customer service representatives hear the same questions many times every day. The answers may be in a FAQ that the customer has already been directed to, but the customer service representative still provides a calm, courteous answer as long as the caller maintains his composure. Surely we can do the same, even if we don’t get paid money for it.

I am kinda newbie poster here. I wanted to know more about cars. So you cannot expect me to be well versed about cars. But reading some topics here I can learn something. Well i hope the old members here would understand that not all posters here are motohead. Thank you for accepting me in here.