Kill Switch for a 09 Tacoma

After reading the news today, I know I’m not alone despite dealership ignorance. http://www…-incidents My truck hasn’t quite reached the 5000 mile because I am now terrified to drive it. I can’t pass the problem along to an unsuspecting buyer. Is there an aftermarket kill switch that I could have installed? Or can the electronic module be replaced with a mechanical one? BTW floor mats are not my problem either.

Killing the engine in case of an emergency would take as much time with the ignition switch as it would with a kill switch. You also have the option to throw it into Neutral, then throw the switch.

The correct way to handle the situation would be to shift to neutral. Why don’t you practice that sometime, and then you won’t be so scared.

When I was in school, we would have fire drills. We learned to evacuate the building in an orderly fashion. Why don’t you conduct a couple of “sticking accelerator drills”. When you are on a quiet street, shift quickly to neutral, coast to a stop and then turn off the engine. This will give you a feel of what to do in the event that the accelerator does stick. Don’t kill the engine until you are safely stopped as you lose the assist and the power steering.