Kia optima tranny problem?

Alright so i got this 2001 Kia Optima a little under a month ago. About a week after i got it the check engine light came on so i took it up to Auto zone to see why. It was fine till the next day. Then every time i would stop for a stop light or stop sign, etc. i would push the gas again and it would berly move. It did not drive like this when i got it.

Then the tranny started acting up. When i would go from park to reverse, or reverse to drive, it would jerk the car a little. then changing gears (say from second to third) it would jerk. Now its advanced far enough that when it jerks it way bad, not just a little jerk anymore. This whole time im asking dealerships about it. every ones saying “it foreign i dunno” i even asked the kia dealership and they don’t know. I took it back to auto zone once again last week to get the trouble code. Its PO715, (i believe that’s the code i got the first time too) which is the input shaft sensor yes?

so after much research im almost sure this is what i need but i have 2 questions before i order one.

#1: Because that code came up that would mean i need to replace the sensor right? or is it the sensor that is finding something else wrong?

#2: where is it located? ive been told its under the air cleaner on the tranny but does anyone know of a diagram that shows this?

#1: Because that code came up that would mean i need to replace the sensor right? or is it the sensor that is finding something else wrong?

No, it only means it is getting a error message from that sensor. The next step is to find out what is causing the error. At least now it is down to a limited number of possibilities.

Sorry I can’t offer anything more specific. But the other guys here are sure to be able to provide some suggestions.

Such as?

The code trouble shooting tree shows to measure the voltages on the sensor connector. #3 to ground 12 volts DC, #2 to ground 5 volts, and #1 to ground 0 ohm. If not good check the wiring and the plug at the TCM. If still not right, replace the TCM. The next step is to use an oscilliscope to display the signel coming from the sensor. If the signel is not good, change the sensor. If the signel is still not good, “A/T overhaul – replace the underdrive clutch retainer”.

I found all this information on Alldata for your selected car (I assumed the V6) and the DTC P0715. The sensor is on top of the transmission close to the engine block. It would probably be under the air filter or air hose.

Hope this helps.

I suspect Researcher’s post (a good post, by the way) is probably going to be gibberish to you, but if you copy it and bring it to the dealership perhaps it’ll compel them to rise up off their glutes and do their job.

Keep us advised. We do care.

Silly question, but has the transmission fluid been checked and verified to be full? Is the fluid in good condition?