2004 Civic Hybrid Codes PO700 and PO717

We have a 2004 honda civic hybrid, and it is having shifting problems…the drive button blinks when it is in park, and then doesn’t engage into drive or reverse. We have a code reader and 2 codes come up…po 700 and po 717. We originally replaced the transmission because those codes were coming up, but it still doesn’t work and now we have these two codes. Any ideas? We have read that it could be a sensor…if so, how challenging is that to replace? THANK YOU SO MUCH! This all happened when we had the car 1/2 sold. ZERO problems up until the sell day…so obviously we didn’t sell it, but want to fix it so we can.

Forgot to add that we are quite sure we heard a Car Talk episode about this exact same issue a long time ago, but I can’t seem to find it in a search. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

P0717, Input speed sensor, no signal

Measure the resistance of the sensor and wiring between the sensor and the ECU. If the replacement transmission came with the sensor and the problem still exists there may be a break in the wires from the sensor to the ECU.

We originally replaced the transmission because those codes were coming up, but it still doesn't work and now we have these two codes.

Was the flywheel assembly replaced? This can be caused by a worn flywheel drive plate.

The sensor should look something like this (from my 2010 Insight manual). The troubleshooting guide is three pages long. Faults include wire break, wire short, loose terminal, and finally, bad PCM (Powertrain Control Module).

Super helpful, Nevada 545 & insightful! :slight_smile: I will try this tomorrow, and let you know what happens… Thank you!

Did you ever get this fix im having the same issue. I was driving my car i had just left my house turn on a stop sign and it just went into neutral. The Drive light was blinking red. and in Drive but wasnt going anywhere. Please help thanks.