Keep my 2002 F-150 or move on to 2008 Ridgeline?

My F-150 FX4 5.4 liter has had new front and rear brakes, new tie rod ends, and tires with new battery, antifreeze and transmission fluid…only at 76,000 miles. I use it to commute 10 miles each way, and tow a 16’ boat. Do I grab a 2008 Ridgeline RTS at the good prices being offered, or keep the Ford going. I hear a noise on occasion on small bumps that sounds like a spring. I checked ball joints and they are OK. When is it cost effective to move on? Help!

In your case I don’t see any reason to move on. A used or new Ridgeline will cost you the mid to upper 20’s. You will spend a small fraction going another 100k-200k on your current truck with occasional repairs which is truly design for towing. It is cheap to rent a car when fixing a vehicle especially if a shop has a relationship with rental company or offers them.

Keeping your old truck is the smarter choice. How big is your boat? Will a Ridgeline tow it?

I hope you didn’t just replace the antifreeze and transmission fluid for the first time. Transmission fluid generally gets changed every 60,000 miles and most types of antifreeze last only about two years. What does your owner’s manual say about how often you should change these fluids?

I changed the antifreeze a few months ago, and it was way past the scheduled time, but I finally did it, what can I say. I am much better at oil changes. The transmission fluid was 10K miles ago. The Ridgeline could easily tow a 1000 lb. boat trailer combination as it is rated for 5000 lbs.

The comfort, safety, and reliability of the Ridgeline really got me interested, although I will miss the space of the bed of the Ford, if I go for it. I just don’t know what to expect for problems down the road with my Ford, and hate to be looking to get repairs all of the time. I did the brakes and tie rods myself, but some jobs I have to send to the shop. The reliability comfort factor is huge.

If F-150 guys say that it will keep going for a couple of years, I’ll hang in there. Prices are so good for these Hondas right now, and I would like the softer ride.

My uncle made his 1969 Ford F-150 last more than 30 years, but he had to work on it routinely to keep it running.

In my opinion, trading in your young F-150 for a Ridgeline will only trade one set of problems for another. The Ridgeline is probably more reliable, but you can expect maintenance and repairs to be more expensive. The F-150 will definitely be less reliable, but the cost of keeping it running will be reasonable, even if it is an inconvenience. So it all boils down to what you can afford. This applies to being able to afford the operating costs for Honda’s luxury tow truck, or alternatively being able to afford car trouble every once in a while. If money is plentiful and car problems have a high opportunity cost, get the Ridgeline. If money is tight and you can afford to keep the Ford running, stay with the Ford.

Keep the F-150, It’s alot more truck. The Ridgeline is a glorified minivan. It doesn’t have nearly the capability or robust construction of the F-150. Besides the expenses you are enduring are pretty normal maintence items, any vehicle will require these routine part replacements. With only 76,000 miles on it, it’s barely broken in.

I would be really scared of the automatic transmission especially in a towing application with a Honda. They have a really poor record in the 2000’s with their automatics despite the golden cloud around the Honda name.

Not a real Ridgeline fan. Many other capable half-trucks that are less expensive, get better mileage, and are at the least more attractive.

I doubt the F-150 will be THAT much less reliable than the Ridgeline. The F-150 is pretty much Ford’s bread and butter vehicle, so they’ve had plenty of time to get it right. Especially since the only items on the list that are NOT routine maintenance items are the tie rod ends, but then again, I’m not familiar with truck maintenance. Batteries wear out over time and 6/7 years is normal. Tires don’t last forever, brakes need replaced every-so-often as they can’t be resurfaced indefinitely, fluids need replaced.
I’d be amazed if the OP wouldn’t have the same “problems” with a Ridgeline after 76k miles.
to the OP I ask the following;
Is your f-150 paid for?
If yes, how much will the price of a new Ridgeline cost?
How much maintenance/repairs can the cost of the Ridgeline cover over the next 5 or 6 years as I’m assuming that you’ll be taking out a loan to pay it off.

F-150 is paid for, and the new 2008 Ridgeline is $22,888. I have been putting my car payment in a money market, and have what I need if I want to pay cash. I hunt and fish, and like having a cap, and that is $1800 more for the Ridgeline. The blue book trade in is about $8000 for the Ford, and I can’t see the price of another Ridgeline to be that low almost ever. The times are dictating moving on the 2008 models. Honda is giving the dealer $3500 back, and the invoice is $27,500. For Honda to drop below the invoice that far is really unusual. It’s just such a good deal, that it is hard to pass up. I may just keep saving cash and run my existing Ford for a while. This decison has been keeping me thinking for sure. Am I passing up too good a deal?

Keep the Ford. It’s paid for itself, you can take half of the amount you’d spend on that Honda and make every repair that the Ford will need for another 10+ years.

Keep the Ford, they are good trucks and it is barely broken in- the Ridgeline just isn’t as much of a truck. The Ford should last you another 5 years no problem and by then you’ll have plenty of cash to buy a replacement truck.

Like the Sport Trac, the Ridgeline is just an SUV(Pilot) with the top cut off in the back

So far, you’re not doing bad. The seven feet of chain that turns those single overhead camshafts should last a while longer so I suggest a switch to synthetic oil just to be sure, and try for 120,000 miles. It couldn’t hurt to make an impossible offer of $10,000 below MSRP. They can afford it. It may never be cost effective to trade it or sell it. Just before the engine has to be replaced is the best time.