Keep great 2007 Accord or sell it for older Highlander

I was riding in my friend’s '01 Accord when we were T-boned by a crazy woman who was driving a large Lexus SUV. Yes, the Accord was totaled, but neither my friend nor I sustained any injuries from that accident.

And, needless to say, a 2007 Accord is even safer than one from the 2001 model year.

You should be able to get a 2006 Highlander Sport with the V6 and 100,000 miles for about what you can sell the Accord for. If you don’t mind adding a couple grand, you could get a 2008 or so and have less mileage.

If you’ve got your heart set on a Highlander, get 2008 or newer

It’s the second generation and better in just about every way

it’s very comfortable and has very good reliability

There’s just one thing about this that bothers me . . . you’re planning to use the Highlander to haul rocks and stuff from home depot

I think you need a pickup truck for that

or at least a small trailer, as the others have mentioned

I remember a friend, a Cuban refugee. He was 50 when he died of a heart attack. I had never seen a full-dress motorcycle club (club, not gang) funeral. Very touching.

Frank (okay, Francisco) had a strange habit. Every few months he would be getting rid of his car and get another one. And, each time, days later, he would announce he was sorry he had done it.

I don’t know if he did the same thing with motorcycles.

Of course, OP has explained his reasons, and they actually do make sense. But, I agree, get a newer, lower mileage vehicle. If you can’t afford that, it becomes questionable whether you can afford to give a pickup to your daughter. She is young and strong. She can buy one for herself.

Not speaking out against helping your own child. Just pointing out the obvious.

I’m the OP, back again.

“If you’ve got your heart set on a Highlander, get 2008 or newer. It’s the second generation and better in just about every way.” Yes, I think a low mileage one closer to 2013 should be my target. But they’ve also become larger over the years. It’s just the two of us, and we don’t need the extra size. Also, these late models aren’t easy to find and they’re priced pretty high. The newest generation is completely out of consideration: even bigger and too $$$.

“Every few months he would be getting rid of his car and get another one. And, each time, days later, he would announce he was sorry he had done it.” Yeah, I’m worried about that. We’ve had the B4000 for almost 20 years. We had a 1977 Chevy Malibu station wagon, bought in 1982, until 1999. But you make a good point. This Accord has been a great car. I know I’ll regret it when it’s gone.

About helping my daughter, that will be a pleasure. It also means the truck stays “in the family,” continued to be cared for, and that it gets used for more than driveway decoration. Since we’ve both retired, the truck goes only about a thousand miles a year. Now it will be used as it was intended to be.

Thanks again to all for your advice. It’s helped clarify my thinking.

Two months and much research later, I’ve decided to get a new Honda CR-V EX.

But not until our other daughter’s old Focus dies and she needs a replacement. Then she’ll get the 2007 Accord, and I’ll get the CR-V.

The CR-V will cost about the same as a few-years-old Highlander but will not have 50-75 thousand miles on it.

From the reviews I’ve read on the current model, that’s a very sensible choice. (The previous model was kind of slow.) Enjoy it!

Make sure you take an extended test drive in the CRV. It has the CVT transmission and many are complaining of vibrations (unpleasant ones!) and apparently Honda states it is the normal behavior of the car. There is a CRV owner’s forum if you want to read more.