Just When You Thought You've Seen Everything (Automotive)

Tell my insurance? Hadn’t considered that. Since both my vehicles are already quite old / dilapidated, if I hit someone and they ran off I’d probably just limp the car home and try to duct tape it back together myself and be glad I still have a clean claims history. Of course my situation doesn’t necessarily apply to others.

Here’s a story about a red light I ran. I was sitting at a red light at about 3 o’ clock in the morning, one of those side-street-crossing-a-main-thorofare lights where you’re going to sit for awhile. It was July or August thus all the windows were wide open. I had the radio turned up loud and my mind had wandered, when I suddenly became aware of someone standing next to the car (on the passenger side). As soon as we made eye contact, HE, pointed down at my “seat” and made a certain gesture with his fist and tongue, and grabbed the door handle to open it. I floored it and went through the intersection without even looking to see if anyone was coming. Fortunately it was 3 o’ clock in the morning and no one WAS coming in either direction. I don’t think I would have had any trouble explaining that one to a cop, but this was before they started putting up red light cameras everywhere. Imagine explaining that red-light camera ticket to a judge. . . "Well, your honor, here’s the situation. . . . "

“Apparently you have to pay attention even at the red lights. I thought surely they were for resting up.” -George Carlin

@“Ed Frugal”

Here’s something that happened to a former friend . . . we lost touch

He was heavily drinking, and he fell asleep behind the wheel . . . at a red light

He was out cold, the engine was idling, and his foot was on the brake pedal. Apparently, he’d been asleep quite awhile when the police officer came by and knocked on his window. It was in a really remote area, so he may have been asleep for a few hours. The police officer just happened to come by, making his rounds. He wasn’t actually in that area to check out the car at the stop light

Fortunately, his foot never slipped off the brake pedal, and nobody was hurt

When we lost touch, his case was still pending. I think he may have not been dui at that point anymore, but I do believe he was charged with something else.

Funny. I had a girl try to get in my car once. I was on Lake Street in Minneapolis and I had gone around the block once looking for the address of the place for parts for my nail gun. She evidently saw the car again and thought I was trolling. I said what are you doing, and she left. She really looked in tough shape too. I keep my doors locked now.