Just when you thought things were getting safer

Do those still exist? I see them driving commercial vehicles and riding motorcycles, but it is pretty rare in my experience to see passenger car drivers equally as focused.

Yet truck drivers will be the first to lose their jobs to this tech. That seems backwards to me.

@jtsanders raises an interesting point. The most attentive driver can only focus on one thing at a time. An autonomous driver can monitor multiple factors simultaneously.

1 Like

I think itā€™s more the profit motive. Most people are never going to get rich via legitimate means no matter how hard they work. So if you have, shall we say, an ethical deficit and you want a lot of money, the highest percentage option is to pursue that goal through criminal enterprise.

Sure, you might get caught, but itā€™s worth the risk if youā€™re willing to screw other people. Especially since humans tend to be an ā€œit wonā€™t happen to meā€ species, so the assumption is that you wonā€™t get caught.

1 Like

Police here pulled in front of a vehicle with an unconscious driver and the collision avoidance system slowed and stopped the vehicle.

1 Like

At thousands of times faster then a human can.

Right now a human driver can probably detect things and adjust better then an autonomous vehicle can in some instances. Operative word is NOW. As software and hardware improves that is shrinking fast. By the time itā€™s ready for prime-time there will be just some extreme edge cases no one has thought about. With all the companies working on this and whatā€™s at stakeā€¦by the time theyā€™re ready for consumers to purchase, there will have been hundreds of million of miles logged and then corrections made to hardware and/or software.

Autonomous vehicles can do a lot of things better then a human driver.
. They donā€™t get drunk.
. They donā€™t get tired.
. Unlimited attention span.
. Communicate with other autonomous vehicles for alerts to react faster.
. Collision detection reaction is far faster.

Why not? Retire from this job and move into the autonomous driving field. You could likely structure a part time job, if thatā€™s what you want, to fill in the rest of your working life. Iā€™ve know several people with valuable experience that retired and taken another job in the same field and worked to over 80. Get paid, have fun, and still enjoy the benefits of retirement. Somebody must be looking for a chief engineer or have staff SME positions.

Because when I retire - I want to retireā€¦Iā€™ve worked long enough. I have a lot of other activities to keep me busy.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been fully retired since 2008, and almost every day I have to wonder how I got everything done daily when I was still working. I rarely sit down during the dayā€“except for a few brief sessions onlineā€“and some days I donā€™t accomplish all of the tasks that I have assigned myself for that day.

some days I donā€™t accomplish all of the tasks that I have assigned myself for that day.

I agree I get up in the morning with nothing to do and by bedtime I might have half of it done.

4 Likes

I have become so involved in various activities that I may try to get a job so I can retire from retirement. I loved my job as a faculty member, especially working with students. However, I will not teach part time as an adjunct. College and universities should hire full time permanent people. I wonā€™t take work away from a young person.
I had thought in retirement that I would do more maintenance on our house and vehicles. However, I have found more exciting things to do. I donā€™t even do oil changes on our vehicles. I gave away my ramps and creeper. I was in the process of writing a grant for the chamber orchestra for which I am president. The lawnmower which I like to use wouldnā€™t stay running. I knew it was the carburetor and probably could have fixed it myself, but I took it to a repairman. Our fence, deck and siding on our house needed to be power washed. I started to do the job and the motor burned out on my power washer. I had some concerts to play, so I elected to have a company come in and do the job.
I was in my 70th year when I retired. I do miss the work I was doing. I was on top of my game and realized that it was time to retire with a good feeling. I had a colleague who fell asleep in a doctoral studentā€™s committee meeting. When I woke him up, he said ā€œI wish I had retired a couple years agoā€. I didnā€™t want to just mark time until retirement.
Retirement for me is like the ice pick factoryā€“seldom dull.

99.999% is 1 out of 100,000 collisions, a remarkable record. However if there really have been that many collisions it would seem that autonomous vehicles are terrible at avoiding collisions, something that we each take action for everyday.

How did police pull the vehicle over?
Siren behind may be difficulto hear above high speed wind and road noise.

Did police get in front of the vehicle and gradually slow?
Would the Tesla signal and pass the single police vehicle?
What was the speed limithere?

Iā€™m curious how autonomous vehicles will navigate on roads when the lines are obliterated by ice or snow. Does it matter? For that matter, will they be able to drive and control at all on ice and snow?

1 Like

Welcome back. Itā€™d be nice to see a few more old faces. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll all say no problem, and science and the force be with them. As I have said before, I really donā€™t care as long as it is the market that decides and not government edict. The market and peopleā€™s money will sort out what works, is worthwhile, makes economic sense, and is a market success. Thatā€™s the way innovations have worked over the past 150 years and see no need to change now. Then as in the past there will be surprises like when they drive by a radar station or something and the trucks go nuts.

1 Like

MIT developed a ground penetrating radar system that works in conjunction with other sensors and digital maps to work well enough to keep the vehicle on the road.

1 Like

wouldnā€™t that be nice?

But letā€™s be realistic . . .

there are lots of things out there that many . . . maybe most of us . . . didnā€™t want. But weā€™re stuck with them

Iā€™m deliberately keeping this vague, as it could get real ugly real fast

Hereā€™s how it works. A small vocal group thinking they know best for the world and maybe is paid off by others or has economic interests, convinces a small group of politicians who are either paid off of have economic interests, to push through a regulation that is maybe not in the interest of the general population. Then it all begins and spreads. Then if you can control the narrative, no one needs to know the true issue.

You mean like the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI)? They have far more influence on motor vehicle safety laws than anyone else.

2 Likes

It would be nice if those agencies could get their act together on emergency flashers (four way). Based on previous comments on emergency flashers, some states require them during inclement weather, other states ban them while driving.

I suggest you read up on the technology before you make that WRONG assumption. The two agencies that are overseeing the technology are PRIVATE organizationsā€¦IEEE and SAE. Theyā€™ve both developed standards to which autonomous vehicles will need to pass. Some states have already stated that autonomous vehicles will need to demonstrate their ability to meet the level 5 requirements before even being considered allowed on the streets.

Almost all automotive safety laws in place today came from those private agencies. Almost all building code laws also came from the Insurance industry.