Jetta Transmission Hard down shift

My 2005.5 Jetta auto transmission has started downshifting vey hard, especially 5 to 4 and 4 to 3. The whole car is jolted with these hard down shifts.

When you checked the transmission fluid was the color and smell “normal”?
Did you need to add trans fluid?
When was the last time that the trans fluid was changed?

The fluid was changed since the problem started. It does not need fluid. I did n’t change fluid so I don’t know if the old fluid was weird.
Could this be a " computer" probelm?

How many miles on the Jetta? VW transmissions are supposedly no maintenance using “life of the car” fluid. Unfortunately the life of the car is rather short due to transmission failures.

You just had the fluid changed, who did it? Is it possible the refill was with a “generic” fluid which would be the case with a “quickie lube” type of place? It seems either the trans was a goner before the fluid change. Or, you got a poorly done fluid change and the bad shifts are due to not having the right spec fluid in the trans.

The bad shifting started before the fluid change, and continues after the fluid change. VW Changed the fluid, they charged something like 40.00 a quart, so I hope it was the real stuff. The car has 130,000, the problem started slighlty, from time to time, perhaps 20,000 miles ago. Now the problem is all the time thing.

Truthfully, this sounds to me like a Hail Mary Transmission Fluid Change. You know, after never previously servicing the transmission, an owner tries a very belated trans fluid change once shifting problems arise, and unfortunately that late trans fluid change does not turn back the hands of the clock.

However, the OP is not to be blamed if he only changed the trans fluid once in the 5-6 years that he has owned the car. As Uncle Turbo implied, VW’s statement about their trans fluid being a “lifetime fluid” ranks right up there with other famous lies such as, “The check is in the mail”, “Of course I’ll still respect you in the morning”, and “Of course I won’t…” (I think we all know the punch line to that old chestnut)

The OP should be aware that auto manufacturers try to make their cars seem as if they are maintenance-free. However, that is far from reality.

The lax maintenance that is encouraged by modern maintenance schedules will rarely result in mechanical breakdowns during the warranty period. But, once you get to…90k miles or more, lack of trans fluid changes, lack of valve lash adjustments, lack of spark plug changes, etc will take their toll and will wind up extracting big bucks from the wallet of the car owner.

I did think the trans was maintenance-free.The transmission fluid was changed after I dented the trans cover driving over a curb at the VW dealership after an oil change (!). Thnx for the sad advice.

All too many people either believe the “maintenance-free” BS from the car manufacturer or are oblivious to car maintenance in general. I am assuming that you are in the first group, rather than in the second group.

Anyway, I suggest that you take the car to an independent transmission shop in your area. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain unless you want to be told that you need a new/rebuilt transmission–whether you really do or not.

These chains invariably sell more repairs than are necessary, do poor-quality work, and may not even be cheap. You are much more likely to get an honest diagnosis, a fair price, and good workmanship from an indy transmission shop.

And, with your next car–no matter what the maintenance schedule says–be sure to change the trans fluid (and filter) every 3 yrs or 30k miles, whichever comes first. A few $100-$120 fluid changes are far cheaper in the long run than one rebuilt transmission.

Is there a repair that can be done? Or does the transmission have to be replaced, if so I’ll drive it until dies entirely.

From a distance, nobody can tell you.
You need to have the transmission examined by an expert, on-scene.

Just bear in mind that “I’ll drive it until dies entirely” could result in the transmission suddenly crapping out while you are on the expressway, surrounded by non-yielding 18-wheelers. Or, you could be in a very remote location or in a dangerous location when it decides to suddenly quit functioning.

For some reason that I can’t quite fathom, a lot of folks envision their car dying in their driveway or in some other convenient location, at a convenient time. However, the reality is that your transmission does not care if you are on the way to a job interview, the Emergency Room, an IRS audit, etc.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to be able to schedule the repair of your car, rather than trusting that it will not become immobile at an inconvenient time, in an inconvenient place?

Doing the repairs in a timely fashion will not cost any more than a deferred repair would cost, and–in many cases–those timely repairs are less expensive.

ok I’ll look for an independent transmission place willing to work on VW here in Orange County/Long Beach Calif.