Jerky Transmission

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla CE with an automatic transmission that started jerking this week. I will be taking it to the dealership in the morning for service. Please tell me what could be the problem and does this mean I need a new transmission? Thank you.

tls43@cox.net

You don’t have to know the reason for the problem as long as you are under warranty coverage. In fact, even if you were to tell the “service advisor” what you suspect the problem to be, the dealership would still have to go through a standard diagnostic protocol.

So–just describe the symptoms and let them take over from there. Be sure to save your documentation as proof of the problem, just in case they state “problem not found”. Even when your warranty expires, proof of a condition that existed during the period of warranty coverage should enable you to get a free repair.

Good luck!

It should be under warranty. That makes it easy. You describe what it does or does not do. You don’t need to tell them what is wrong, in fact they likely will ignore anything you say anyway. The will follow the procedure set out by the manufacturer for any car that jerks like yours is. As noted by VCD, keep good records of every visit. While I have no reason to believe they will not fix it right the first time, it does not always work that way. You want written evidence of each visit.