Jeep Patriot

I live in Atlanta and am looking for a semi-fuel efficient small SUV. I take the occasional long-distance trip, so I’d like something that feels safe on highways. Any thoughts on the reliability and maintenance costs of the 2007 or 2008 model Jeep Patriot? Any other recommendations? How does the Compass compare? I’m looking to spend $12,000-ish. This will be my first car official car purchase after driving hand-me-downs, so any help is much appreciated!

Fab Abigail, I’ve Never Considered Any SUV As A Safe, Long-Distance, Highway Vehicle.

I don’t think that is their intent. What is it about an SUV that appeals to you? Please indicate those features that you like in an SUV and maybe we can help.

CSA

Anticipated repair costs over 5 years are excellent according to edmunds.com. They expect you to spend about $1908 for either Jeep compared to $1739 for either the Toyota Rav4 or Honda CR-V. The Ford Escape is estimated at $2059 and the Chevrolet Equinox at $2010. None are really so bad that I’d exclude them.

The Rav4 and CR-V will have to be a couple years older to drop the price to $12,000. If you like the way the Compass or Patriot drive, they are worth considering, even from a reliability standpoint. Unless you do any off-roading, yo might prefer the car-based Compass.