Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited coolant Level

Coolant level sender is in a smal chamber in the reserve tank but has no water in it so shows low water level, although it is full. there must be a way of water entering this chamber to reach the sender but it’s hard to see inside. any suggestions would be welcome.

The two tanks should be one. My guess is an obstruction or factory defect

Take a long drill bit and drill a hole in the bottom of the wall between the 2 tanks

oops. You would want to take the tank off and do it so you can discard the plastic shavings created by the drilling

Getting another tank from a junkyard would likely be easier.

Model-Year ?

Many Chrysler vehicles have two chambers in the coolant bottle, a pressure chamber and an overflow chamber.

Coolant will ordinarily be in the Pressure side ONLY and the Overflow side should normally be EMPTY. The overflow side allows some coolant recovery in the case of an OVERHEAT.

Our Dodge has over 300,000 miles and has always had a dry overflow chamber.

YOUR TANK IS PROBABLY NOT DEFECTIVE. I WOULD NOT DRILL IT, ALTER IT, OR REPLACE IT at this time.

The pressure chamber of the tank with the “Full Hot” and “Full Cold” markings should have coolant in it. The overflow chamber should be empty.

If you’ve got coolant in the overflow chamber and none in the pressure chamber then the vehicle probably overheated.

[list] [/list]Please give the model-year.
[list] [/list]Please explain which chamber has coolant and which is empty.

[list] [/list]Are you sure the level sensor is in the empty chamber ?
[list] [/list]What does your Owner’s Manual say about the coolant level indicator ?

CSA

Year of manufacture 2000
The main plastic header tank is full and pressurised and in the rear of the same tank is a small oval hole which has a push fit unit plugged into it with rubber seal, this I believe is the sender, it has two fingers joined by a fine wire in a ‘u’ shape, there is no water in this chamber
Within a couple of minutes of the engine starting the low coolant light comes on and obviously I have checked the coolant level so I am guessing that the lack of liquid in this rear chamber is the problem