Jeep and RAM stalling problems

NHTSA started an investigation of 2022 RAM and Jeep vehicles with the 5.7L mild hybrid engine. The agency received 80 complaints about abrupt stalling, shifting into park, and applying the parking brake. This is without interaction from the driver. Stellantis is cooperating in the investigation. If you experience this problem, got to NHTSA.gov and select the ‘recall’ tab, then submit a complaint. According to the linked article, Stellantis believes that the problem is electrical.

https://apnews.com/article/jeep-ram-engine-stall-investigation-42258bfa0f3e6509d765d3a1a9b8f247

1 Like

:rofl: :laughing: :roll_eyes:

Is anyone surprised by this? We used to see these posts after the Jeep or Ram was 5-6-7 years old. Now it is at 2 years old? Wow.

1 Like

Me thinks the problem is Stellantis .

3 Likes

It is because trying to make a Hemi into a Hybrid is just Blasphemy and should never happen… :grin:

1 Like

… especially in view of the fact that the Pacifica PHEV has the absolute worst reliability record of any hybrid or PHEV that is sold in The US.

1 Like

The Pacifica PHEV recall for the hybrid system was because their software didn’t handle fuel injection correctly and caused raw gas to flow into the cylinders, then into the exhaust manifold where it lit off. Exhaust manifolds were reported glowing bright red and catalytic converters fractured as a result of the heat. Fortunately there were no fires outside the exhaust manifold.

I think the comment in the article was made because of the Pacifica PHEV problem I mentioned immediately above. I’m not surprised by any Stellantis problems.

Every manufacture has suffered complications related to government fuel economy and emissions requirements.

The latest generation Toyota Tundra and Lexus LX600 with V-6 engine has been recalled due to engine failures. The turbocharged V-6 replaced the outgoing 5.7 liter engine.

RCMN-24V381-3977.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Yes, anymore Stellantis problems are a bit of a “Dog Bites Man” story!

It’s unclear what that means. An electrical problem could be a broken connector, or a faulty electronic sensor. Or it could be a software bug caused by either of the above. I’d expect it to be the latter, some sort of software problem, perhaps initially caused by a hardware problem. And the software wasn’t tested for that eventuality. Similar to reports of some airliner crashes caused by the plane’s software-response to sensor failures.

A general statement: rules out mechanical or hydraulic problems. Cars built since 1975 sometimes have electrical problems.

I posted it because some people that own the mild hybrid Jeep and RAM vehicles might not be aware of it, not because it was surprising.

1 Like