Janis Joplin's Psychedelic Porsche is sold

That’s interesting. When I wrote the check today for the memorial, I was going to write “Viet Nam”, but then checked the letter and it was all one word so I wrote “Vietnam”. No wonder I was confused. I don’t know if they were such great days. If we had it to do over again we might change a few things.

And likewise, thank you @tsm.

One of my uncles joined the Air Force and was on a B-36 crew when the B-52 was put in service and he was on one of the first in service. He was just a good ole boy from Alabama who was amazed at the technology that he was responsible for. While stationed at Edwards he flew to the North pole several times and was forced to bail out at some outrageous altitude over the salt flats that resulted in his being grounded and discharged.

The B-52 was obviously ahead of its time. I spent a few weeks on Okinawa where B-52s were stationed that made bombing runs to NVN. They left the runway with so much bomb load that they required re-fueling within a few miles of take off. I sat on the fence one day watching them leave.

I met Janice once after a concert at a kegger party, she did not have a porsche at the time I do not believe. We had some nice talk time, but I did not want to spend the night with her. I appreciate her music and strength, but it is silly to idolize people you never met.

mountainbike

Are you sure the picture isn’t showing a G or H model . . . ?

I say that because of those “blisters” on the nose . . . I don’t know what they’re called :frowning:

Oops!
Db, I believe you’re correct. Looking again I can see the truncated vertical stabilizer, the turbofan engine shrouds, and even the missiles on the wing racks.
And, as you suggested, I don’t think the Ds were modded with the new systems. Blisters is as good a description as any for the bumps on the radar shroud.
Great catch. A tip of the hat to you.

mountainbike

When were the D models retired . . . ?

Can I assume they were phased out due to maximum allowable operating hours attained?

There’s a B-52 on display at the March air reserve museum here in southern California. It doesn’t have those “bumps on the radar shroud” . . . so I’m assuming it’s an early model. The sign did say it served in Vietnam

I think during the first gulf war, g and h models were being used, but lately only the h models are in service . . . ?

Those planes being “stored” in the desert . . . are many of the parts interchangeable with the models still in service?

Now I’ll get back on topic . . .

Hey you guys, you did catch the part about the Janis Joplin Porsche not having the psychedelic paint job from the 1960s . . . ?

I believe it’s a repaint by a different artist, based on pictures of the “original” paint job. Some car magazine I was reading recently talked about the car, before it sold

It makes me think of those guys going for the theoretical 100 point car, because they’re trying to duplicate paint marks, tags, and all those little details that most of us probably don’t care too much about

So Barky are you saying that’s what inspired her to write “Its a heartache”?

The bumps, actually an entirely different radar shroud, were introduced as a part of a radar systems upgrade about 1972, starting with the H models. Prior to the mod, the G’s and H’s also had the snub noses without the blisters, just like the old models had. Both the Gs and Hs were modded.

If the sign said it served in Viet Nam and it didn’t have the blisters, it could have been a C (I believe they were still in use in the early days of Viet Nam) but was more likely a D (they were still serving right up until the end of the war). I believe the Ds were retired as soon as the war ended, early '73.

Yup, all the old stuff is in storage in the desert, gutted of all the operational equipment and systems. They could theoretically be dusted off and made serviceable again… but it would take a major initiative.

As of today, there are only two B52 squadrons left in service, one at Barksdale in Louisiana and the other at Minot in North Dakota. Both are H models.

And now, again with my apologies, I return the thread to automotive subjects.

I won’t veer off too much into aviation (although it’s extremely easy to do…) but there was a pair of Boeing bombers on display at the OK City fairgrounds for about 35 years. Not too long ago the B-47 was moved to Wichita, KS for display and the B-52F was donated to the city of Palmdale, CA I believe.

I guess Janis Joplin’s Porsche reminds us all of an era that has a lot of memories.
Her music, that haunting voice and emotionally charged delivery, will live on forever. Sounds like her Porsche will always be a reminder of her, and all the memories that she evokes. May she rest in peace.

After USASESCS radio school at Fort Gordon in 1964, I was sent to 6/32 Arty at Fort Lewis, WA as a wireman. That Christmas I flew back to the Midwest, put a rebuilt motor and transmission (don’t ask, blush!) in my old 1953 Chevrolet, drove it around a few days, and in 50 hours elapsed time drove 2050 miles back to Fort Lewis. That was when Interstate was still only partially finished. That was my first ever really long driving trip. it was also an unforgettable trip, even 51 years later. I picked up a hitch hiker whose mom lived under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle, and stopped to say hello to her before going on to Ft. Lewis. I always wondered what happened to Jim. He was a mechanic who flew to Washington, D.C., got rolled and had to hitch back to Seattle. Convenient with a rebuilt old car, but nothing went wrong at all. (except the headlight mentioned below.)

Since I retired in 1997, I have driven around 300,000 miles so a lot of long trips, but you gotta’ start some place. We get posters on here who are half scared to death on their first 500 mile trip.

Scared the bejabbers out of my mother, driving such a long distance in the winter time. Going through the mountains, they kept closing the highway behind me. That night a cop stopped me to tell me a headlight was burned out. The gas station that installed the new one said he could tell that was an original headlight from 1953. Something about the paint on the headlight.

We had too many people coming back from Viet Nam to FT. Lewis it was like we were RE**'s. We knew about atrocities long before the press reported it. Horrible stories.

I didn’t go over. I was on semi-hazardous duty in Crash Rescue at Gray Air base, having escaped from 6/32. I thought 6/32 was sort of a dummy training organization, but found out not long ago they actually did hard duty in Viet Nam.

And, I gotta’ tell you, the guys who came back referred to it simply as “NAM.”

I was at Ft. Gordon in 1971 so missed you by a few years. Teletype school. Half the guys in my room were reservist so going home after that but one guy was going on to the cyber school there. I liked the place but have never been back.

Oh lord won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz
my friends all drive Porches
I must make amends.

Irlandes, it still is called simply 'Nam when those who served then discuss it amongst ourselves.
And B52’s are simply called BUFFs.
Talked to a fellow SAC vet today (we called ourselves “SAC-suckers”). He was a “gas passer”. A “qas passer” was one of the guys that refueled the aircraft.