Jaguar xk8 HELLLLL PPP TRANSMISSION OWNED 3 DAYS ONLY!

In my opinion, it might be smart to spend a few bucks diagnosing the transmission problem

Perhaps it’s NOT in need of a complete overhaul

Many of the transmission problems were resolved without a complete overhaul. Many of them were in fact electrical problems or due to low fluid level (usually due to leaks or improper refilling after repairs)

I assume if you sell the car, you’ll probably have to accept a low offer, because of the transmission problem(s), at which point you’ll have lost a lot of money, in my estimation

Wouldn’t you at least like to know what’s really going on, and possibly how much it would cost to repair, before giving up so quickly?

Maybe you’ll decide selling the car unrepaired is the wisest decision

Or maybe you’ll decide the best course of action is to have the problem repaired and enjoy the car.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents, but it seems to me that the white flag is being waved prematurely. Many a time what is perceived as a majro problem turns out to be something simple.

Example. At a multi-line dealer where I worked a guy had a very slick VW diesel towed in for a no-start. He was going to wait up front until the car was diagnosed and he was “dead sure the engine was bad”; quote.

We pushed it into the shop and one of the techs hooked up the battery charger. A few minutes later a salesman came out and said the guy had decided to buy a new car. This was BEFORE any diagnosis was done.
The guy came out into the shop and the tech offered him a 150 bucks for the car as is, where is. The car owner was happy to be rid of it.

The next day during a slow spell the tech got to checking things over and found the glow plug fuse was blown. That’s it.
For a measly dollar the car was up and running like new again.

2 Likes

I agree. That’s really the only way to know, and until you do any decision is being made without the necessary knowledge.

Let us know the results. We do care.

Several weeks ago, a vehicle came in with an automatic transmission that wasn’t shifting properly

Turns out the transmission was fine

The control module was faulty

Sure was a lot cheaper than an overhaul, and it shifts beautifully now

Find out what the problem is. If you can fix it for less than the increased amount you can sell the car for, do it. But sell the car anyway, unless you’ve got money to burn. This isn’t anywhere close to the last problem that car is going to have.

Oh god I get so confused

Dianne Andrews

That’s what the car mechanic who looked at it said

Dianne Andrews

A good diagnosis and repair estimate will clear up much of the confusion. Once you have that, you’ll have a solid basis to make your best decision.

1 Like

Thanks I did get it analyses and he said sell it so I am

Dianne Andrews

Well . . . what did the mechanic say, besides “sell it”?

Why is the transmission not operating properly?

Mechanical or electrical?

The thing is you are going to pay for the transmission one way or the other. When I had an engine problem and talked about trading the dealer said a car without a engine is not worth much. Same thing with a transmission. Anyone buying a car with a known trans issue is going to discount the price to cover the trans repair and then some. Even with a trans repair though buyers are going to wonder what else is about to go. Just sayin’ one way or the other you end up paying for the transmission so might as well fix it and enjoy the car for a while.

1 Like

Wow… To quote a better man than I, “never has a tale been filled with so much woe…”, but, hold on tight- I’m not reading anywhere here how it was Jaguar’s fault and that they cannot build a quality car. ESPECIALLY coming from the guy who self-admittedly destroyed a can-opener on wheels (nee ‘Miata’), and would even mention that superlight in the same breath as these X100s. But, since it clearly didn’t strike you as a poor decision to buy a foreign convertible, used, with over 100K on it- and a model which you clearly knew nothing about, it’s probably best we pull this apart a bit further, first. This way, it will be abundantly clear that poor logic and lack of information on the part of the customer does not a ‘bad car company’ make. Let’s take it by the numbers;

1. Anyone who buys a convertible Miata to be ‘simple car’, and uses terms like ‘takes the cake’ only has “taste” in their mouths, and has no idea what a truly simple vehicle is, let alone a luxury coupe, if it ran over him.

2. XJ6’s are V12’s with a completely different configuration, built during a time when JLR was free from Ford, and operating much differently. The auto market is dynamic- Wake Up!

3. This whole ‘I got it smogged’ issue is adorable. But did you every try a quick shut-off of the engine to clear the Trans fault? that trouble indicator is solid state- so a quick ignition off and then restart should clear it- unless you have some serious issues from abusive wear. You do NOT have to drive the Car in ‘Transmission Fault’, just cycle the ignition and keep going- a little more gingerly this time, perhaps?

4. In all of your trying to move the car and getting into an altercation with the police and etc, etc, etc., it never occured to you to think to yourself "I likely have insurance, and I’m clearly doing further damage to the car trying to limp it places, perhaps I ought to have it towed? Luckily for us, you elected not to- making sure the extent of the damage was as critical as you could muster.

5th and FINAL POINT; Jaguar has been making cars for over 100 years, through wars, downtowns, and successful times, because unlike yourself- some of us enjoy taking care of our vehicles, understanding service intervals, and what can be done to prevent these types of issues. Pertaining to your 'Doesn’t Someone Know How to Make a Car Yet? and your history with burning up a Miata- truly a graduated go-kart; here’s your answer to 'What Do I Do"? - Buy a Tesla It’ll cost you twice as much, have twice the issues, and keep your car for months at a time.

My disdain for your blathering about expense aside- Jaguar builds the car, and as the owner, it’s your job to maintain it and keep it in the running condition as similar to when it was first made as possible. This doesn’t mean God hates you because, horror of all horrors, you need to perform regular maintenance. It does demonstrate- at least to me- that you had hoped Luxury=Drive it and Forget it, which is not what sports cars and motoring are really all about.

So once again- the advice is this; buy a Tesla. Sure you’ll pay way too much and the maintenance will drive you crazy, which you seem to be used to by now, but it won’t give you any transmission issues. You’ll still be being taken advantage of because you can’t be bothered to research the vehicles you buy- but you probably won’t have any transmission issues?!

:slight_smile: Weight your options, own your choices, and if you can’t do that, probably best to JUSTRUN on your commute- as Cars clearly aren’t really your thing.

@Nittoldyouso You created an account to post a long reply to a 3 year old post about a Jag that was likley sold a week or so after the last post. The date of the last post, Nov '17, is in the upper right corner. Just an FYI

3 Likes

Can’t we leave Chris Christie out of this?
:wink:

3 Likes

Jaguar is owned by Tata Motors, which has only been making passenger cars for 29 years, not 100. Whether it’s a century or a quarter century you’d think they’d have figured out reliability by now. :wink:

In today’s world, it should be. There’s no reason save sloppiness that you can’t have both leather seats AND reliability.

1 Like

If IRC, the XJ6 had a 4.2L in-line 6 cylinder. The XJ12 has the 5.3L V-12.
Besides adding such a useless rant 3 years late is just bad form.

Not necessarily, the U.S. spec XJ6 had the or 4.2L or 4.0L I6 depending on the year. The XJ12 could have the 5.3L V12 or the 6.0L V12, again depending on the year. The 4.0L and 6.0L models were sold under Ford’s ownership.