Jacking point

Is it proper to jack up the rear end of a vehicle using the differential housing as a jacking point. I see it done a lot in tire shops

Thanks for your answers

For several reasons I would not use it.

what would the reasons be
thanks
I am looking for specific reasons

read the manual…

The answer might depend on the differential housing.

On some vehicles you have to jack the vehicle up by the differential when replacing the rear shocks when the vehicle has rear coil springs. If you don’t do this and then remove the shock hardware, the differential can drop allowing the coil spring to come shooting out from under the vehicle.

Tester

Thanks for your answer but I dont believe the differential was meant to be a jacking point. If you want to support the vehicle while replacing the rear shocks, put a jack underneath the axle at the spring or at least outboard of the differential closer to the wheels. The vehicle was designed to be supported by the wheels not the differential. Thanks

Well son! I’ve been raising vehicles by their differentials for over thirtyfive years. And in all those years I’ve never caused damage to either the differential or the vehicle. What do you suppose the wheels are attached to? To the differential that supports the vehicle via the rear springs.

Tester

Just because the axles are attached to differential does not mean that the differential is carrying the weight of the vehicle

The differential is fine in terms of being able to bear the weight of the vehicle, but the main reason not to use it is that if you’re jacking it up by the “pumpkin” part, the vehicle will be really tippy.

Since we don’t know what car you have we have to guess. Some cars recommend not using it. If you don’t know about a specific car, I would say don’t.

I don’t like the idea of using a single point lift and balancing the vehicle on two wheels and one jack point.

It is OK on any rigid axle rear wheel drive I have ever worked on.

I would be nervous about picking up a car with independent rear suspension by the differential. Not that the differential is not solidly attached to the car, they just don’t have those solid clamshell housings like the solid axle differentials have.