Proper Tire Changing

What is the proper method of jacking up a car to change the tire. Hyundai 07 Entourage. When jacking up the rear, the whole rear came off the ground even though I was only jacking on one side. Why is this? Never had this happen on any other vehicle I’ve owned.

Were you on flat ground? Placed jack where your owner’s manual shows?

Yes on concrete floor in garage. Jacked up on the spot where “jack” symbol says on side of van. I was changing the brakes. The front passenger side wheel was off and on wooden blocks. The the front drivers side tire was down and both rear tires were down. I was jacking up rear drivers side to replace rear brakes and the rear passenger side came completely up 4 inches before the drivers side came up. Not sure if it has to do with the front passenger side being up on blocks. I did this same manuever however in reverse (rear passenger jacking up and front driver blocked up) and it came up normal as I expected. The only difference is when doing the rear passenger, I had both fronts up on blocks with no wheels on the van.

Yes, it has to do with the front passenger side being up on blocks. You’re jacking opposite corners. Not a good idea.

where where the blocks? Under the frame or the suspension? It might just be that the back is so light compared to the front, it wouldn’t twist.

Blocks were next to the jacking point between the jack and the wheel. Whenever I rotate tires I always start on one wheel, and block it so I can use the jack on the other wheels. If I can’t jack on one corner with a block on the opposite corner, how would one rotate the tires. I have used this method on probably 10 different vehicles I’ve owned over the years and this is the first that I’ve had this happen to. I wonder if there is a recommended procedure to do this properly.

jack and block the entire front first, then jack and block the rear. put jack stands under the unjacked car before you jack it up, as a precaution. Long wood blocks such as rail road ties under the front can be very stable. instability is the prime culprit in jacking accidents.

I did jack and block the entire front but at one point had rotated the front driver wheel and removed the blocks before working on that fourth brake. I only rotated the tires because I was doing the brakes. Next time I’ll skip the tire rotation and just do one wheel at a time on the brakes.

This just seemed like an odd occurrence to me that I thought I would ask to see if anyone else ever came across this issue and what was actually happening to the vehicle to make it leverage in such a strange way. My GM vehicles never had this issue thats for sure. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Not really pertaining to your problem, but you should really invest in 4 jackstands, just in case the weight of the car resting on the wood blocks causes them to break.