It's worth a few extra cents

I searched and saw no mention of that anywhere, only that some states disallow requiring a membership to purchase alcohol (a mix of red and blue, and not confined by region, FWIW). Is NJ the only such state regarding gasoline? If so, then again I ask… why make this about partisan politics?

2 Likes

Will we get to choose between RED and GREEN fuel? Which one doesn’t have ethanol?

I don’t see the point of bringing politics into it. But here I am. Throw red and blue out the window. If I want to sell my gas at a discount, if you purchase other things from me, but I don’t want to sell to just anyone at that discounted rate (because I won’t make enough money on it)…I don’t have an issue with that.

I don’t have a Sam’s Club membership. I don’t buy anything from them. Some things are cheaper there, but I don’t want to pay for the membership to get their discount. I don’t see a problem with that, myself. You weigh your options and make your choices.

If the state says Sam’s Club must be open to everyone- Sam will eventually just adjust the price, right? Then there’s no discount for anyone.

I can’t swim in the pool at the country club. I don’t want to pay the membership fee. I could. I don’t want to pay it. I can’t swim there. What’s the problem, and how is it related to politics? Should everyone be allowed to swim “just cuz”, while others foot the bill to maintain the pool?

3 Likes

Despite the fact that anyone can purchase gasoline from Costco in NJ–whether or not they have paid for membership–Costco’s gas is still the cheapest of any Top Tier gas in the state. In fact, it is almost always cheaper than non-Top Tier stations.
I did a bit of driving yesterday, and within a radius of about 30 miles, Costco’s price for regular gas ranged from 6 cents cheaper (in comparison with non-Top Tier Raceway) to 92 cents cheaper than a couple of Top Tier BP stations. Somehow, the non-member “loophole” in my state hasn’t driven-up Costco’s gas prices.

NJ’s laws do permit club membership for most other categories of goods, so Costco’s sale of memberships is unlikely to be threatened, and their business model is built upon the revenue from the sale of memberships, rather than on profit from individual items offered for sale.

I’m pretty thrifty (Okay, cheap), but buying Top Tier gas isn’t just about pinching pennies…

They’ve broken ground on a new Costco here in Bradenton, FL, just a ways up the road (Manatee Avenue). It is supposed to open this summer (pretty quick, eh?).

Even though I’m a recently new card carrying member :clap: , I haven’t been all that impressed with shopping at Costco in Sarasota. I bought gas a couple of times while there, but the savings wasn’t much better than an independent Shell station on Anna Maria Island. I go to the island a few times a week to walk the beach, collect shark teeth, and swim in the ocean and get thrashed about in big waves.

I’d rather give my money to an independent guy in the neighborhood than entirely to a big corporation, especially one that sells gas cheaper than the stations on the mainland and there is just something extra fun about buying gas on a subtropical island with an ocean breeze, palm trees, cars/golf carts with surf boards, bikini clad pedestrians, and a relaxing atmosphere.

It’s not always about buying the cheapest top tier gas available. I’ll probably keep buying my gas on the island and I’ll give the new Costco a try in fall before I decide whether to renew my membership there. My problem is that other than walk out the door to play golf, ride my bikes, or go to the pool we only drive toward all the beaches. I pass Winn Dixie and Publix, where I do most of my shopping.

When we go back north for Summer the nearest Costco is a 2 hour drive (one-way). I’ll probably shop there once or twice before coming back here.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

It’s pretty obvious your post wasn’t really about Costco gasoline . . . but about your current lifestyle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

We consider buying Top Tier gas an INVESTMENT in the long life of our cars.
We have never had to use those expensive engine cleaner services or had any meaningful engine deposits. And yes. Costco gas is the cheapest in town here while also being Top Tier.

Disposing of our cars at over 200,000 miles and as high as 300,000 has never needed to do any internal engine “cleanups” . So Top Tier gas is all about keeping our engines clean and never having to remove deposits.

1 Like

I agree with you and have been using Top Tier for many years.
CSA

Who are you agreeing with . . . ?

Me or @Docnick . . . ?

This isn’t too bad a lifestyle. Somebody’s got to do it, eh? What I was trying to do was to illustrate that it isn’t all about trying to save a few cents if it’s not very convenient and also…

… to consider the “little guy,” the independent Mom & Pop business people in one’s community. I know people that wouldn’t step foot in Wal-Mart store even if they saved several dollars at a time.

Big box and “chain” stores (along with their gas pumps) have put many local independent businesses out of business. This applies to gas, food, hardware, auto repairs, etcetera, etcetera. If there’s another reasonable option to these big corporate sellers I’ll go there. We went from half a dozen nice hardware stores in my little town up north, to just one lumber yard store that carries hardware. The customer service and pleasant shopping atmosphere often go away with them.
CSA

3 Likes

Sorry. It was Docnick. I clicked on his reply. It doesn’t display as that from where you’re sitting?
CSA

They never do if it immediately follows the replied to post…I brought this up previously. It’s confusing IMO.

1 Like

Wow, didn’t know that. They can’t fix it? That is confusing.

I guess a work-around is to quote part of what you’re responding to, as I did here.
CSA

CSA should work for his local tourism board or community development association part time. He makes me want to move.

2 Likes

You’re about as far south as CSA and I’ll bet your cost of living is less. Why trade what you know and love for a place you don’t and costs more?

And another thing (not for Scrapyard_John):

I don’t know if Costco allows infidels to buy their gas in MD, and it’s out of the way. I’m only there when I go for a really good reason. Trader Joe’s and my favorite beer store share the same parking lot, and they are excellent reasons to go out of my way. Still, there’s a Mobil station with prices comparable to and occasionally lower than Costco, and it’s in my neighborhood.

I agree and I’m sure CSA knows more than 1 location where these nice

are promenading. :yum:

I just wonder. Does he’s wife also know those locations? :worried:

Actually, Now thinking of CSA in that situation, I’m getting a picture in my head of General Halftrack following Miss Buxley in his car on the sidewalk.
Okay, I AM the king of crazy ideas around here. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Eh, I’m not planning on moving unless some job opportunity arises out of the blue. I’m sure the cost of living is less here. It’s got to be since I’m in one of the poorest, if not the poorest, states. He almost had me with the bikini clad pedestrians, though. But then again, I wouldn’t want to see the majority of pedestrians in a bikini…

5 Likes

But he didn’t actually describe what the people looked like . . . slim, obese, warts, stretch marks, scars, etc. . . . only that they were wearing bikinis

I suppose your imagination filled in the blanks :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

I did not want to make anyone suffer but remembering some late night or comedy show that had a guy in a bikini as a regular skit. Yes just because there is a bikini clad pedestrian does not mean I want to look.

3 Likes

We have Wawa gas stations in NJ. They are cheap and have TT grade gasoline.