It's not just oil and gas prices

But you’d still smell smoke in your hair :grin:. No experience with discos exactly…before my time. But I’ve been in a smoky bar or 3.

And I’m extremely happy that many areas have passed no smoking laws in restaurants and bars. Funny how all those people opposing those bills said restaurants would close, people would lose jobs. Never Happened.

1 Like

Drove by Ft. Gordon and they don’t allow smoking in the Army anymore. Gotta go vacuum. Play nice.

1 Like

Ah the disco I hung out at was named “2001” and it had a lighted dance floor so you could always see it through the smoke. The place was in Brooklyn and featured in “Saturday night fever”.

1 Like

I’ll just pull a Stephen Colbert and get a Tesla. No but seriously this is crazy. I’m in Canada and just learned today that in the province of British Columbia they are going to ban the purchase of all gas powered cars by 2030! Now who’s really crazy.

2 Likes

Well you and your friends know what to do about it.

1 Like

Honk honk! :slight_smile:

The state of California is planning to have all new car and trucks to be electric by 2035.

This will change, politicians have a wonderful vision for the future but often impractical.

This is a statement from 1994;

Under the state’s standard, 2% of vehicles sold by each major manufacturer in California each year must be emission-free beginning in 1998. That amounts to 20,000 to 25,000 cars. The volume increases to 5% in 2001 and 10% in 2003. Companies violating the standard could lose their certification to sell cars in California.

The plan was canceled after vehicle manufactures spent billions in the development of electric vehicles.

1 Like

Such a move may well be necessary to force those reluctant to give up their ICE powered cars
I believe that at some point there will need to be a rule that after XX date existing ICE cars will no longer be road legal.

1 Like

According to this Vancouver publication, the target date is 2035:

My guess is the Canadian repair and rebuild shops are going to get a LOT of new business! :wink:

If sales of ICEs are banned, people will keep and repair their old ones. Or if Ford 450s and 550s are exempt, they’ll buy them. That is how we got so many SUVs.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make 'em drink…

1 Like

From my observations, it’s pretty hard to get Canadians to STOP drinking, and I’m not referring to water.
:smirk:

2 Likes

I’ll just assume you mean maple syrup, because Canada has, I swear I am not making this up, a strategic maple syrup reserve.

Food’s gonna get a lot more expensive too, because almost 30% of the world’s wheat supply comes from Russia and Ukraine combined. They’re a pretty significant contributor of corn to global supplies, too.

1 Like

The boys on the farm reported they locked in $300 a ton for nitrogen but next year going to $800, then projected to $1300. That plus fuel costs, etc. will likely get passed on to consumers. Profits are not unlimited to absorb increases like these. Same goes for other industries.

1 Like

Maple liqueur - Wikipedia.

1 Like

About 15 miles almost due south of me is a plant that manufactures anhydrous ammonia; or fertilizer. They turn out over a million tons per year and that product is made out of nitrogen and hydrogen derived from natural gas or LPG.

As if food prices haven’t gone up enough already. Guy on TV a few weeks ago made a reference to “as much as 5%”. I don’t think he’s been grocery shopping in a long time.

When we lived on a farm, our dairy cows produced fertilizer.

5 Likes

Many farmers are now trying to get away with using so much fertilizer and going back to old tried and true methods used by our great grand fathers. I come from a long line of farmers here in the US and back in Germany and Ireland. My dad was the first generation to break that tradition. I have journals from my great great great grandfather about how he fertilized his fields and did crop rotation.

1 Like

We are gonna need a good source of electric power before that. Solar,wind,geothermal fine. But we need more. We need to build safe nuclear plants now. Maybe they will need subsidies, but our future and safety depends on it.