Is this a normal noise at idle when AC is on?

Preface - I have anxiety specific to my car breaking down which makes it hard for me to tell the difference between “normal” car noises and those that are indicative of a problem.

When my AC is on, periodically when my car is at idle there will be a brief shudder. I also notice it when I put my car in reverse. It will also occasionally vibrate a bit at idle with AC off, but I notice it most when my AC is. It is not frequent enough that I could take it to a mechanic and reproduce it. Usually it is after the car has been running for a bit (5-10 min).

I wouldn’t mind it so much but recently my engine misfired and died, ~60 mph. It got a new set of plugs and coils and now seems to run smoother. But if there is a problem that is indicative of a larger issue, I want to take care of it.

It’s a pretty old car… 2008 Civic, 189k

thanks!

Have you tried cleaning the electronic throttle body?

This is what controls how the engine idles under different load conditions.

The engine misfiring and dying at speed is a different problem.

And sometimes that’s caused by a faulty crank sensor.

Tester

1 Like

take it to a trusted mechanic for a complete look over and inspection. This could be motor mounts that are worn, a dirty throttle body like Tester suggested, or a vacuum leak of some kind. Some things can be figured out with out the symptoms being present.

1 Like

It could be an overactive imagination, like you say. I had a late 70’s VW Rabbit years ago. Part of the routine maintenance was removing & checking the fuel injector spray pattern. First time I did this, heard a very high pitched noise from the injector when it sprayed. Ever after doing that job, I could hear the injectors’ high pitched tone as I drove, esp when accelerating. But I never heard it before doing that job, although it was certainly always there from day 1.

1 Like

I have not. I will investigate that. Thanks!

Ok, thanks for your thoughts. PA inspection is due soon anyway.