Is this a good deal?

Having been a “Fleet Vehicle” means that it is one of many cars or trucks that were being used by a business. That very likely means that nobody drove it like it was their own and maintenance is questionable. 7 separate owners and having been bought at auction 3 times means that there are at least 7 people who don’t want to own that truck.

I would run away from this sale as fast as possible. It’s not worth the risk.

@TruckerDan‌

kbb.com says the truck is worth $1971 good condition private party sale in Sacramento. Very good condition is $2061

The guy is asking too much

Ask him why he thinks his truck is worth so much, considering the heater is leaking

I tend to think it (especially a 14 year old Dodge v8 truck) had so many owners because the gas mileage was measure in time…like gallons per minute. Lot’s of owners to me tends to make me think owners don’t have a lot of confidence in it…like unexpected break downs. Like, how do you know it was reliable…? Reliable, efficient vehicles I would think would have few owners over their life time. I would go to plan B.

Since this truck has a manual transmission, that takes a little of the risk out of the deal. If the OP really likes the truck and is willing to take on the known risks, the OP could inform the seller he’s willing to pay $XXX in cash until such time the OP makes a deal on another truck. That gives the seller a purchaser should they not be able to obtain the original asking price.

Purchase it only if

1. he comes down to a reasonable price, and
  2. you are really really really really curious to discover whatever it is that the previous seven owners discovered that cause them to dump the truck.

I you want a truck for a reasonable price without undue risk, keep looking. This one has too many indicators that there’s something about it that you don’t want to learn the hard way.

Sacramento isn’t a small market. There should be plenty of other trucks of similar age and mileage. Don’t get too fixated on this one truck. If you seem to be talking to other sellers, this seller might get more cooperative. Or you’ll find a truck you like just as much and buy it. At least rust isn’t a problem unless it has spent time in the Sierra. California in easy on cars.

Thanks guys! Me and the wife decided to move on. You guys are right, way too many red flags and the seller is one of them.

The old VW Beetles sold in Mexico often did not have a heater at all. I remember a nephew handing me a red rag and asking me to clean the fog off the inside of the windshield as he drove.

@irlandes my dad can top that memory, he once de-iced the doors on his bug enough to get into the car to drive to work. Then realized that the doors were now frozen shut. I believe he crawled out the window.

TruckerDan I think you dodged a well…Dodge.